How to heat a house without gas suggestions

Battery storage of even a few hours worth of electricity will require very large, and very expensive batteries. You really need to look very carefully at this before assuming that battery storage will allow any meaningful storage of solar generated electricity.

Sponsored Links
I calculated that 6kWh would be sufficient to run normal usage overnight ( not central heating)

10kWh would be sufficient for laundry and tumbledrier on a cloudy day

But cost outweighed benefit, assuming ten-year product life.

And for at least half the year, there would not be enough solar excess to charge the battery.

Best advised to keep a gas supply even if you don’t use it ???

Take a look at hybrid systems may be ??

Although you won’t get a grant for it ?

Intergas and Alpha do hybrids

My mate had a new build and has a hybrid system in it with under floor

He has also done similar in his property he moved to a sort of experimental type system he has been playing around with Incorperating a combi and ASHP seems to be working quite well
And will be even better when he gets the controls right

ASHP was already in prop when he moved in heating a pool which he discarded / filled in

Work at a prop that uses lake source heat pump
Absolutely dire tbh def ware a coat and have deep pockets to pay the leccy bill

Sponsored Links
I appreciate all the replies, thanks I'll look into all the things that people have been suggesting.

It amuses me that people talk about the heating only in terms of return on your money where I am more concerned with other factors and as for throwing money away well people buy really expensive cars all the time when a cheaper car would get you where you want to go, for me that's throwing money away for little benefit. I'd much rather do what I consider is better for environment and remove gas and offset my electricity usage as much as possible.

I am well aware that battery storage is not cheap and I wouldn't do it expecting the amount I save is going to cover the cost of the batteries but at the end of the day when I move and set aside money for all this work I'd rather spend up front to get things set up that will reduce the ongoing electricity cost and lets face it, the cost of gas compared with electricity is only going to go up over time so I'd rather make the switch early while I'm renovating than later when it would be more disruptive.

Thanks again for all the feedback either way, it's always food for thought and I have lots more to investigate now! :giggle:

I agree it’s not all about ROI, people spend thousands on cars, holidays and televisions etc and never ask themselves about the ROI because there isn’t one. At least adding an environmentally friendly heating system to a home will increase the value of the home when it comes to selling it.

Of course a lot of these assumptions (?) about savings probably depends on how long the equipment lasts ??

6 ASHP were weighed in at the scrap yard I go to
The other week ????

I'd much rather do what I consider is better for environment and remove gas and offset my electricity usage as much as possible.
Before getting too carried away with the environmental thing, I think you should perhaps reflect on the fact that Britain as a whole contributes less than 1% to the world's carbon dioxide emissions.
So even if we shut the country down completely, we all perished, and re-wilding took over, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the World's climate.
So an individual switching from gas heating to something supposedly more environmentally friendly will make absolutely no difference to anything!

Before getting too carried away with the environmental thing, I think you should perhaps reflect on the fact that Britain as a whole contributes less than 1% to the world's carbon dioxide emissions.
So even if we shut the country down completely, we all perished, and re-wilding took over, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the World's climate.
So an individual switching from gas heating to something supposedly more environmentally friendly will make absolutely no difference to anything!
We only contribute 1% because we have moved most of our manufacturing overseas to places like China and India.

True, though even if we had kept manufacturing largely in Britain, the likes of China would still massively exceed our CO2 emissions - they're opening a new coal fired power station practically every week. India is doing much the same.
Given this background, anything we do in Britain to reduce our CO2 emissions is just a futile gesture - but a potentially costly one nevertheless. We are destroying our economy with our green and net-zero actions and the rest of the World is just laughing at us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back