How to make a flood light strobe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I would light to have a security light that would strobe when turned on, is this possible as I can not find anything on line?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Led lights come on virtually instantly, I quess if you supplied a NON pir flood, via a delay on/ off timer and set to minimum it may give the effect you want.
Shame you could not find someone replacing a faulty fitting as when they fail they flash on/off erratically.
There was a shop on Romford Road and at least 4 Sign floods were flashing madly, must have drove the neighbours mad

What sort of flash frequency did you have in mind? And why (if you'll pardon my curiosity) do you want a strobing security light?

Sponsored Links
You have not specified the application, or if this might be in a public area, but please note that strobe and other flashing lights can cause seizures etc in affected people (Photosensitive epilepsy).

That is why TV broadcasts warn of flashing images on certain programmes.

To answer everyone's question of why I want a flashing flood light. The reason is, there is a side road to my house that is a dead end and I find countless number of couples having sex, I have fitted a very large cctv camera with a flood light that I can turn on. But is does not put them off, however I have found that if I turn the light on and off every 1-2 seconds, it makes them go elsewhere.

The flood light I have is on the gutter level , so it is high up looking down.

Andy

Andy, I don't believe you - methinks you need to provide some video as evidence :) :) :)

I hope that someone thats having sex is also not epileptic, that would turn out to be quite the meeting then.

Is your floodlight using a glass halogen lamp or is it LED? Because if Halogen I wonder if strobing it will reduce the life of the lamp?

Because if Halogen I wonder if strobing it will reduce the life of the lamp?

The way to prolong the life of the lamp is to alternate between dim and bright such that the filament does not get cold. This reduces the in-rush current each time the lamp is strobed ON.

The resistance of a cold filament is about one tenth of the resistance of a hot filament so at switch on the current can be ten time the rated current until the filament reaches working temperature.

You need a Loud Hailer and just sing "We know what you're doing", that should put them off.

Or a remote Bird Scarer that takes blank shotgun cartridges (farmer uses one on field behind our house and they're bloody loud!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back