How to make a mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have an oak framed mirror approx 2 metres by about 60 cm, to be hung landscape on a plastered block wall. I live offshore and we don't have any mirror suppliers, so I can't make one from scratch. However, I was wondering if it was possible to take a mirror from a sliding door, make a frame and then fit it to the wall?
We have B&Q and Magnet here and a local glass company have said that they can cut mirrors, so I could get it cut down but I guess the sliding door has a wood backing?

Sponsored Links
Mirrors can be cut in the time honoured way for cutting glass, but there is a risk that the silvering on the back may detach, also you'll lose any polished / bevelled edges.
Best make the frame to suit an existing mirror if you can....B&Q do have a variety!
John :)

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the silver in the back being damaged.
Unfortunately B&Q don't have any mirrors big enough for what I want :(

If the inside open area of the frame is smaller than the mirror then if the mirror edges are a little flaky then that's that issue taken care of isn't it?

Sponsored Links
If the inside open area of the frame is smaller than the mirror then if the mirror edges are a little flaky then that's that issue taken care of isn't it?
I would be making the frame myself as well, so could ensure the rebate is big enough to cover any snags.

Just need to find a mirror!

I have sliding mirror doors, they have a metal frame, but no backing board. I hope they have a bonded plastic safety film though. I think they are 2800x1000mm

Glass suppliers usually also supply mirror cut to size? have you asked them.

I would be making the frame myself as well, so could ensure the rebate is big enough to cover any snags.

As you say a deep rebate will cover any rough edges. Paint the rebates matt black as well. Lessens reflections. I would usually fix the glass with small softwood wedges, and have a second rebate for a thin ply back screwed in to make it easy if you ever need to change the glass.

I have sliding mirror doors, they have a metal frame, but no backing board. I hope they have a bonded plastic safety film though. I think they are 2800x1000mm
Thanks, do you think if you wanted to, you would be able to remove the frame? Do you know who the supplier was?

Glass suppliers usually also supply mirror cut to size? have you asked them.
I have contacted the glass suppliers here and they don't stock any mirrors, they did say they can cut them though if needs be!

As you say a deep rebate will cover any rough edges. Paint the rebates matt black as well. Lessens reflections. I would usually fix the glass with small softwood wedges, and have a second rebate for a thin ply back screwed in to make it easy if you ever need to change the glass.
Thanks Dave, that is just the info I need :) what size ply would you say is acceptable?

OK so your offshore, in a place where mirrors aree not available.

So how do you propose to get one?

Can you purchase a framed mirror to be delivered?
Or does it require you floating down a river in a coracle to get it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+mirror
http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas_&_remedies/glass_&_glasses/mirrors.html[/QUOTE]
I live in Guernsey and that stretch of 75 miles of water puts a lot of companies off, they just don't want to deliver, let alone remove the VAT, but B&Q and Magnet will both order items in.
As I want a large mirror, my idea was to order a sliding door, dismantle it and then make a frame, which seems possible from the other answers I have received. Thanks

3mm will do. Put plenty of small brass csk screws in. You can go a bit thicker if the frame is heavy enough to take a rebate to cover it. It'll make it heavier though. If it's to be hung and not screwed on the wall flat, you may be able to get away with just fixing the back flush on the back of the frame, but inset slightly from the edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back