How to remove tiles without breaking them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I really could use some help. Although some of my questions you may have already answered for other people I would really appreciate any answers.

My name is Jay, and I have a severe disability that consequently makes me electric wheelchair bound/unable to walk.

I have currently purchased a property. However unfortunately for the past 6 months I haven't been able to live in it as the bathroom has not been adapted for a disabled person. The reason it has taken so long is due to my budget and builders charging extortionate quotes.
After speaking with 2 of my family members that are skilled in building/fixing bits and bobs they willing to help in a charitable way for a very low price, make the bathroom accessible.
The plan is to split the big bathroom in to 2 bathrooms, one large and one very small.

The tiles currently in the bathroom.......Now I would like to remove the tiles without breaking them and relocate the tiles into the new small bathroom saving money. The tiles are 15 years old but are original and are in perfect condition.

The size of the bathroom tiles are about 20x40cm.

My family are more of a demolish and chuck so I want to try and rescue the tiles before they start.

I have a friend with minor building experience who is willing to try and remove the tiles without breaking them for me,

I just need some advice on what tools/where to buy and what process should he follow?

I have found the following -----

Grout Removal
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pro-grout-rake-cutter/17903

Suction Pad
http://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-ti...ping - Tools&gclid=CJrR-_fLjMwCFfYy0wod-OAAIA

Pry Bar
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han...king+Bars/sd3192/Roughneck+Utility+Bar/p14195

SDS+ Ceramic Tile Removing Remover Chisel Cranked Angled Bent
http://www.bamfordtrading.com/produ...ncluded.html?gclid=CPP2qO7OjMwCFYIW0wodp7sCcQ

If you could write back with your views and opinion I would be grateful.

Regards,

J.S

Sponsored Links
Give it up. The tiles will most likely break and you'd be wasting your time.

Plan for new tiles or consider uPVC or polypropylene panels for ease and hygiene

I am going to be honest here, my experience of removing tiles is they always crack and break, how many sq meters of tiles do you need there are loads on ebay cheap. If you lived closer I have a few sq meters you could of had.

Sponsored Links
It depends how they were fixed. Tiles sometimes come off really easily and other times only come off in shards. If you do get them off you'll also have to get them clean enough to re-use, and that might be the more difficult bit. My advice is try a couple and see how it goes. If they are going to come off an old scraper - rather than a bolster - tapped down the back will do it.

taking them off is only half the battle, cleaning off the old adhesive will be a task in itself

Evening gentleman,

Firstly I really do appreciate all your advice. I am one for some crazy ideas, probably because being in a wheelchair I can't do it myself. So it looks like my girlfriend was right, I will have to buy her a big box of chocolates and eat some humble pie.

If at all anyone knows of any cheap tiles either from your building work that are going to waste or happen to stubble across some, I would be more than happy to buy them from you. I think it would need 5m2 for the walls.

Kind regards and again appreciate all your help.

if you go to a tile depot youll find that most places do a budget basic white tile very cheap, its the adhesive that cost a lot

Echo the above- trying to salvage tiles (if they've been properly glued and grouted) is a total waste of time. If you're lucky (ish) then the tiles will have been bodged on and they'll fall off with a paint scraper behind them. Someone else already said give it a go, someone else also said you're looking at about £5/sq m for adhesive and grout for large tiles, add another £1/sq m for any edge trims and all of a sudden the cost of the tiles themselves look a bit insignificant. Try your local Freecycle (stick a WANT up but most weeks someone is losing a box or 2 left over from a job)

I happened upon some tiles coming off in one piece today. It helps if the plaster comes off easy though ... or just falls off.

So it might be possible. (y)

Tiles (Medium).jpg

Yo Woods,
A good example of a 3" block wall built off floorboards and a sole plate in an upstairs (?) location. I wonder if that wall was mid span or directly on a joist?

Is there a sticky for 'frequently asked questions....?'

Yo Woods,
A good example of a 3" block wall built off floorboards and a sole plate in an upstairs (?) location. I wonder if that wall was mid span or directly on a joist?

Is there a sticky for 'frequently asked questions....?'

The blocks are actually 2". One wall was across the joists, and another at 90° to it which was on floorboards, with no deflection or cracking. It was easier to remove/replace the walls rather than mess about trying to move doorways and be left with wobbly walls.

The first floor joists were undersized by todays standards too, but the joists and all the other timber was solid and not easy to drill or screw into - certainly not as soft as the CLS that replaced that wall. So that probably explains why the first floor walls have not moved when the floor was loaded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back