How to replace damaged sarking board and roof felt (if needed at all?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a repair to do where an old wood stove flue used to go through the roof, but has since been taken down. Water had been leaking through and caused some rot to the rafter, which I will "sister" with some new timber.

What I don't know is whether it would be a good idea to repair/replace the sarking board, and the felt on top of it? If so, is it possible to do what needs doing from inside the room? Or is the only option to strip back slates and repair from above. Would prefer to do it from inside if at all possible.

Any opinions and suggestions on how best to approach this would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

IMG_20220618_174546472_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An idea?
slip some kind of dpm material into the edge of the hole between the slates and existing sarking, so it pokes half out?
you may be able to entirely cover the hole if you were fortunate.

then cut a disc of osb/ ply to fit the hole and fix it with a couple of bits of timber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back