How to replacing an old Honeywell T6360B1028 main wired thermostat with a volt-free smart thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to replace an old Honeywell T6360 main wired thermostat with a volt-free smart thermostat.

I have an worcester bosch greenstar 30i boiler

The current thermostat is wired up as shown in attached photos. From my measurements and bolier digram, I believe the wires I have now are "1-red-Live", "3-blue-switch live" and "Green-earth"

upload_2021-9-16_21-4-36.png

upload_2021-9-16_21-39-48.png

My understanding is that the thermostat is currently set up so that it operates as simple main voltage switch (as shown in below schematic).

upload_2021-9-16_21-46-40.png

...and so, in order to replace the current thermostat with the volt-free thermostat, I would have to creat or add a 240V connection to the neutral and live terminals (as shown schematic below), which would then power the new thermostat. I am planning to get this new 240V from fused termail which could be turned on and off with boiler.

upload_2021-9-16_21-50-6.jpeg

I will connect the old "1-red-live" and "3-blue-switch live" to volt-free terminal which are 3 and 4. Therefore the new circuit connection for using volt-free thermostat will be:

upload_2021-9-16_22-6-9.png

I did some search said the volt-free contacts could work with 240V. Am I right?

I would be grateful for anyone's comments on any of the above, and/or any advice as to how best to go about this installation. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yes your understanding is correct, you do need to supply a permanent live and permanent neutral, then you can use either the volt free contacts or 5 & 6 which are common and normally open (a bit like how your Honeywell works now), and also suitable for mains voltage.

Volt free means you apply the voltage to those contacts, usually 24v up to 240v.

Yes your understanding is correct, you do need to supply a permanent live and permanent neutral, then you can use either the volt free contacts or 5 & 6 which are common and normally open (a bit like how your Honeywell works now), and also suitable for mains voltage.

Volt free means you apply the voltage to those contacts, usually 24v up to 240v.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kindly reply. There is one thing I can not undertsand. Why they didn't connect the Netural (connection 2) to the old thermostat? From my undertanding is they didn't use the "Anticipator" as the heating system is Combi boiler? But why the combi boiler doesn't need the Anticipator? Any idea? Thanks

Yes, your understanding is correct, they didn’t connect the neutral for the anticipator, but it’s still recommended for a combi - but it just means there’ll be larger temperature swings when not used in any system.

Sponsored Links
There is one thing I can not undertsand. Why they didn't connect the Netural (connection 2) to the old thermostat? From my undertanding is they didn't use the "Anticipator" as the heating system is Combi boiler?
Because your existing thermostat does not have a heat anticipator, not all do

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Because your existing thermostat does not have a heat anticipator, not all do
Do the older T6360’s not have them? This was from 2010 training manual

Attachments

• 50BCC936-3720-4F11-8F6C-2408DA580886.jpeg
    50BCC936-3720-4F11-8F6C-2408DA580886.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 121

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back