How to restart boiler - damsel in distress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend has lost her hot water and heating. The timer is on ok; it's a combi boiler, and the hot tap is full on, but it doesn't fire up.

Apparently last time somebody reset it for her, but I don't know how... can anybody tell anything from this pic, or is it a plumber job?

Thanks
20190926_155210.jpg

Sponsored Links
Circled in Blue, these are re-settble overheat thermostats, press both , if either clicks when you press it the boiler will come back on

Attachments

• oil combi.jpg
    oil combi.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 701
Circled in Blue, these are re-settble overheat thermostats, press both , if either clicks when you press it the boiler will come back on

You know, I saw those and did wonder... they both seem kinda permanently pushed up inside, so maybe knackered..?

I'll give them a rattle though... thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys... OK back at me computer now, very hard to do things on the phone I find.

Right - of the two red thingies, the one on the right is just a blanking plug; the one on the left moves in and out freely. I gave it a shove anyway, but nothing happened.

I concluded that the recessed button on the red burner might be the reset switch, so I gave it a long press, but nothing.

I'm guessing it's plumber time? I read somewhere that these could only be reset a couple of times with the button, after that it had to be done using diagnostics or something - and it has apparently been reset before, so could that be it?

Real pain arranging a plumber, as there's noboy there during the day... any final suggestions before we get him in?

Oh, and the oil tank's nearly full.

Cheers

Just remembered the smae thing happened to my parents' boiler (same model I think) last winter, and from memory some photovoltaic cell had sooted up from the burner running a bit on the rich side... OK, thanks everybody, but she's going to phone the plumber 1st thing tomorrow.

Turns out it's 2 years since it was serviced :rolleyes: but her flat is small and warm, so it doesn't get massively used...

Will report back as always :D

A warmflow boiler check for a pressure switch.Bob

Thanks Bob - do you mean the water pressure as shown on the little gauge? I thought that was a little low, so let a small amount of water in to take it up to just above 1 bar (cold).

But the control panel has two lights lit… the bottom two in the photo, though the one up from the bottom doesn't really show in my photo. I found the manual online, and it seems to suggest those are the low pressure and burner lockout warning lamps – do I need to let even more water in? What would happen if I let too much in – is there any way of letting it out again?

Thanks

panel.jpg

control.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Bob - do you mean the water pressure as shown on the little gauge? I thought that was a little low, so let a small amount of water in to take it up to just above 1 bar (cold).

No. Bob is referring to an internal pressure switch... Within the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back