How to restore yellowed shower trim (was transparent)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our guest bathroom shower enclosure has six transparent seals for the doors - two of which have discoloured/yellowed (same part - from both sides).

Before we look at replacing them, does anyone have any tips for restoring discoloured/yellowed trim back to its transparent state?

Sponsored Links
If it the soft plastic, similar to the material plastic kitchen jugs are made from, then what I have been told that the plastic is slightly absorbent. Which explains why such jugs which have been used for highly coloured foods, retain the stain from the food. Leaving them to soak in a mild bleach solution works for such plastics, maybe it will work for your seals too?

Nothing to loose - give it a try, but the bleach may wreck the seals.

They're a long length. "U" section that fits over the end of the glass and a sort of wiper blade that wipes the glass as the doors move.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've successfully restored 'yellowed' white Lego by soaking it in hydrogen peroxide in direct sunlight for a couple of days which is a tried and tested method of restoring the colour of old and faded Lego. You'd have to create a suitable container so that it could remain submerged. You can buy hydrogen peroxide off ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDROGEN...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Pharmacies also sell it, in various strengths..

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes I've heard about that approach for white. Wasn't sure whether it would.work with transparent and also size makes it difficult to soak.

It may seem daft but I had considered putting them somewhere where they'd be in direct sunlight. They've discoloured in a room that is at the side of the house so doesn't catch much direct sunlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back