How to safely screw a WC Toilet in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I've recently installed a new WC Toilet in my house and was wondering how to screw it securely to the floor and the wall. I know the holes are already provided, was just wondering whether i should plug and screw the floor holes (into tiles and ply) like i'm planning on doing with the wall.

I know this may sound like a dumb question but better safe than sorry :oops:

Jibbs

Sponsored Links
You could drill straight through the tile and into the (substantial) ply - but if you fit a plug as well, there's less chance of a splitting tile. It certainly wont do any harm, and at the end of the day it can be drilled out if you want.
John :)

A good way to secure it to the floor is to.

Get a bag, mr muscle type cleaner and some kitchen towel.

Run a bead of silicone around the toilet where it meets the floor, make sure it's touching both surfaces but don't fluff about too much. Spray with the cleaner which will then meen it will. Only stick where you have applied it, Run your finger around to create a clean line ( I use the back nail of my middle finger) wipe it onto the kitchen towel and then into your bag.

You do have a limited timecto work with it, but just work at a steady pace.

Still drill and fix the cistern or if to tiles you can adda couple of blobs of silicone as well

You should be able to get a clean line pretty easily. This has the added bonus of stopping wee going under the toilet.

When it has dried you will not be able to move the pan and it will be solidly set. Then fill in the two screw holes using silicone and spraying in the same manner

A good way to secure it to the floor is to.

Get a bag, mr muscle type cleaner and some kitchen towel.

Run a bead of silicone around the toilet where it meets the floor, make sure it's touching both surfaces but don't fluff about too much. Spray with the cleaner which will then meen it will. Only stick where you have applied it, Run your finger around to create a clean line ( I use the back nail of my middle finger) wipe it onto the kitchen towel and then into your bag.

You do have a limited timecto work with it, but just work at a steady pace.

Still drill and fix the cistern or if to tiles you can adda couple of blobs of silicone as well

You should be able to get a clean line pretty easily. This has the added bonus of stopping wee going under the toilet.

When it has dried you will not be able to move the pan and it will be solidly set. Then fill in the two screw holes using silicone and spraying in the same manner

Thanks for your input. I'll have to try that. But just to clarify, there are no specific screws for this type of job? Or is there?

Jibbs

Sponsored Links
The method I describe is using silicone and not screws.

A lot of bathroom installers do it this way because of the pee thing but also gives a clean finish.

If you have to drill into porcelain for example! it can be a right nuissance, this is much simpler

Just to clarify, it's an alternative to drilling and screwing, and very strong

A lot of bathroom installers do it this way because of the pee thing but also gives a clean finish.

If you have to drill into porcelain for example! it can be a right nuissance, this is much simpler

They do it this way because they are lazy, rough Ba$tids.
Silicone is a "SEALANT" not a "FIXING".
This is why the tube says "Silicone Sealant".

Or maybe I have been doing it it all wrong for 40 years,and the holes are to insert a silicone nozzle into.

BTW ,When using fixing plugs into tiles, The plug should be knocked through the tile into the structure.
This prevents the tile cracking when the plug expands.

Use brass screws they don't rust.
Still corrodes however....

I would be tempted to use stainless, however if im honest, i would be equally tempted just to bed it down on silicon. Certainly if you used a polyeurethane sealant/adhesive it wouldnt be going anywhere.

Not my handy work, but the bathroom sink in my house is stuck onto the tiled wall with no more nails. Im sure the weak link is from the tiles to the wall, but even still, most of the weight is taken on the pedistal, and having tested it somewhat, and used it for nearly a year, it quite clearly isnt going anywhere.

Daniel

Brass screws have been used in wc, basins for yrs.
They don't put holes in them for nothing. :rolleyes:

Well guys, i decided to use silicone to fix it to the floor. This was mainly due to the thick porcelain floor tiles i have. Even a diamond edge drill bit couldn't get through it. Seeing as it's screwed securely into the wall it doesn't look like its going anywhere.

So i gather as well as using screws- using silicone for sink to wall is a no no right? Whoever the tenants were before have done it here :)

If your basin has a pedestal, then there's not a great deal to worry about there....personally I only use silicone for sticking the loo cistern to the wall though. Saves a bit of bother when replacing the close couple doughnut!
John :)

They do it this way because they are lazy, rough Ba$tids.
Silicone is a "SEALANT" not a "FIXING".
This is why the tube says "

Or maybe I have been doing it it all wrong for 40 years,and the holes are to insert a silicone nozzle into

No, they do it because, yes,it is easier but it will also fix the pan to the floor and is a good finish. Its not that you having been doing it wrong, just differently. Although the sarcasm is mildly amusing

BTW ,When using fixing plugs into tiles, The plug should be knocked through the tile into the structure.
This prevents the tile cracking when the plug expands.
:p

I can't see why yourcgetting so het up over a toilet

Bathroom fitters often use this method, yes, because it is easier but also because it will fix your pan to the floor and it is a neat finish.

Jeez :LOL:

All that misplaced abuse and I didn't even get a thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back