How to securely hold together a Stable door for hanging...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm about to hang a stable door and I've seen many suggestions that the easiest way to do this is to clamp, or pin the 2 halves together first - this seems very sensible but no-one actually mentions how or where is best to do so....sorry if this seems like a stupid thing to ask but I can only imagine a couple of peices of 2x1 on each side, vertically placed across the 'join' screwed into the door....this will hold it together I think, but leave big holes after...any other suggestions please??

Thanks!
Pete

Sponsored Links
i always hang mine in two halfs if its having a natural timber finish. if its going to be painted screw it as you said with battens on the face then fill the holes when your done

while you can do the above, you could also try it this way. But first is the door new to the frame or are you fitting both new frame & door ? This will make a differance as you will have to size the door to the old frame first before you cut the hinges in & hang (remember to plane a leading edge on the closing leaf. but i would use a timber marking stick ( take a piece of 38mm x 12mm PAR from the top mark a line across the timber @ 3mm then from the 3mm line measure down 150mm & mark "TOP" then put a hinge up against the door with the TOP of the hinge on the line then mark the timber again when finished shade in the hinge area on the timber using your pencil //////////.

offer that to your clamped doors remember to leave a suitable gap between the doors (before you clamp drop 2 x £2 coin in place to give you the gap) then turn the door on its side & secure it in your chocks or workmate bench, then place the measuring stick on the door with the first pencil line (3mm line) this will leave the stick hanging past the door by 3mm. Then mark the break (gap) between the two doors & measure up again for your hinge repeat this on the bottom section of door but this time mark up 230mm from the bottom hinge then place the hinge on the stick so you now have the botton hinge shaded out. repeat for the second hinge . Once complete take the stick to the door frame & push the stick up against the Hinge side of the door and mark out the TOP & BOTTOM marks of where the hinges will sit. The stick has already compensated the gaps at the top & middle of the doors so you can now cut ou for the hinges.

when you have fitted the hinges fit the bottom door first & edge it open to 90degrees and put the top door on top even put the coins back to help.

Hope this has helped, I use a Trend jig & routerwhich from set up takes me 15 mins to hang a door on its hinges 1/2 hour in total with a trim :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks Will.
I use a D&M jig but I'm not as quick as you!
Painted finish for the stable door in the end so battened it together (old frame, farmhouse!)
Cheers,
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back