how to sort out short delivery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

i think i'm posting in the right section :?:

I need some help putting across my argument to a builders merchants tomorrow. I'll give you the background story first:-

On Mon 08/08/2005 i ordered 156 foot of dado rail from a local independant builders merchants. They said they would deliver it for free the next day.

Dado rail was delivered around midday on Tue 09/08/2005. When I returned from work late in the evening i measured how much they had delivered and deducting a cracked piece i was 20 foot short. It was too late to ring them as they were closed.

I rang them today at 4pm and told them they had delivered short. The guy said "you should have checked it when it was delivered as anything could have happened to it between then and now"

I tried to explain to him about my working hours being the reason why i couldn't check it or ring him earlier etc but he wasn't interested. He said "ok then bring it all back" knowing full well i have no transportation to take it back there :evil: , so I am going there after work tomorrow to talk to them in person and try and sort this out.

Have i got a leg to stand on asking him for the 20ft that was short. Any trading law kinda links would be good!!!!

p.s my wife wasn't asked to sign for anything when the dado rail was delivered if that makes any difference :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
was it left secure with your wife !!! if it was read the delivery note and see what clauses they may throw at you
write down your well reasoned replys

i think they are just trying on as they cant be botherd to make the return trip :rolleyes:

there was no delivery note mate. as they put each piece by the front door my wife carried it inside.

the place i got it from is an old skool independent builders merchant ie. no computer system etc!

Your going to argue with a man over 20ft of dado rail which actually the man is correct you should have checked it on delivery, if your miss's aint up to it then somebody who can measure dado rail should have been there to recieve--your fault.

The phone calls--the time you are taking out to argue of goods which have a value of under a tenner and he gave you free delivery aswell--i would be surprised if the man either doesnt hit you with more dado rail or tells you to f/off.

It is all down to you--you wanted delivery--then you check it when it arrives--i cant imagine the small claims court will be too impressed with the goods missing value either but you can try

Leave it and put it down to experienced and think your self lucky my miss's let the dog chew the new vacuums filter up yesterday an now we have to buy another new vacuum as you cant buy the filters anywhere as the model is too new and it will cost a lot more than a tenner

Sponsored Links
sorry, i dont agree. yes youve left it a little late, but the goods are unfit for their purpose, so youve got a right for them to be replaced. phone up and speak to the manager, but do it in a reasonable and polite way. If theres no delivery note then you cant have signed it so you cant have signed to accept the goods in good condition.

(dont get the wife to do it next time) :LOL:

Thermo said:
sorry, i dont agree. yes youve left it a little late, but the goods are unfit for their purpose, so youve got a right for them to be replaced. phone up and speak to the manager, but do it in a reasonable and polite way. If theres no delivery note then you cant have signed it so you cant have signed to accept the goods in good condition.

(dont get the wife to do it next time) :LOL:

Yes Thermo is technically correct but a tenner and just remember that you may need their services or goods again

i paid for £156 foot and that is what i expected to receive.

I didn't ask for free delivery, they do it free for every customer.

IF there had been a deliery note my wife would have signed it unchecked as she always does when i have pc stuff etc delivered!

I don't think i'm in the wrong complaining tot hem about it even if it was worth £1. i havn't received what i paid for so i will be going there tomorrow to politely discuss it with them :p

P.S I MADE A TYPO ON THE DATES...NOW CORRECTED :oops:

freddie, whilst i understand your sentiment, surely its the other way around? Hes free to take his business elsewhere, they need his business and so should seek to reasonably keep the customer happy. If i get short deliveries or crap delivered i tell my supplier politely to sort it out. They do as they want my repeat business. Admitidly i order a lot through them but the principle is still the same, as i would go elsewhere if they treated me like that, and id make sure people i dealt with knew about it. Good service deserves praise and loyalty, bad service deserves sod all. Its about time people in this country got their heads around that from the smallest to the biggest.

(talking of which my mobile phone is up for renewal and the company that sold it to me last year phoned me up offering to renew my contract and sort out a new handset. Now i had a run in with them as they sent me the wrong accesories, i returned them, made umpteen calls to get the replacements and was accussed of lying as they said i never sent them back. I waited a year but it was worth it to tell the salesman that his company was ****e and i wouldnt touch them with a bargepole)

not surprized your complaining 20ft at £156 a foot= £3120

you shure you dont mean £1.56 per m thus nearer £9 :LOL: :LOL:

i think a compromise may be to take the dammaged wood with you assuming 3m and offer to pay cost price for the other 3m and take it with you
this of course assumes you have a car ;)

quite interesting views here!!!

I think Thermo is spot on though.

Either they sort out a mistake THEY made or i take my business elsewhere from now on!

big-all , why should i compromise on something i have already paid for :confused:

its wether you want to use them again

they are there thinking he has hidden a couple off lengths
you are there thinking the barstewards have short changed me

i doubt if they would make any fuss i suspect they belive it was outside till you came home some hours later and the bits where nicked
did you tell them it was taken in immediatly on delivery!!!!
thats why i suggested you go prearmed with the answer to any questions ;)

No delivery note, no signature, you did not recieve it. Tell'em to sort it out or you will take it to Trading Standards. You paid for it you want it ;)

Did you really order 156 feet? this is a rather strange quantity and even in metres it is 47.63 so that's an odd amout to order. Did you NEED 156 feet? If so, you had not allowed for shortage due to unsuitable pieces. Thermo is correct about your rights, but if you ordered wood and not MDF, you should know general joinery wood is variable, and unless you specified exactly what blemishes you were prepared to accept. Next time order 180 feet.

big-all said:
its wether you want to use them again

they are there thinking he has hidden a couple off lengths
you are there thinking the barstewards have short changed me

i doubt if they would make any fuss i suspect they belive it was outside till you came home some hours later and the bits where nicked
did you tell them it was taken in immediatly on delivery!!!!
thats why i suggested you go prearmed with the answer to any questions ;)

as the delivery driver dropped each piece by the front door my missus took them inside so they know 100% for sure it wasn't left outside

oilman said:
Did you really order 156 feet? this is a rather strange quantity and even in metres it is 47.63 so that's an odd amout to order. Did you NEED 156 feet? If so, you had not allowed for shortage due to unsuitable pieces. Thermo is correct about your rights, but if you ordered wood and not MDF, you should know general joinery wood is variable, and unless you specified exactly what blemishes you were prepared to accept. Next time order 180 feet.

i ordered 156ft as the guy told me we have got 12ft lengths in stock so i though 13x12ft lengths=156 foot which would cover what i need and allow for shortages due to unsuitable pieces.

they actually delivered various size lengths of 11,12,13,14 & 15 foot!!

Sponsored Links
Back