How to take loop out of ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Total noob here so it may be I've posted this on the wrong section. I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

I have two hanging ceiling lights in the living room. Unfortunately they are too low and (unfortunately) I am a tall guy which means I bang my head against them sometimes.

If I take the middle loop out:

8587277900_6036881b60.jpg

I don't bang my head anymore.

The problem is that if I do that I can't connect the other two pieces.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Smooth

Sponsored Links
The only way to do this reasonably well is to remove that middle chain link, and replace with a much smaller link.

Anything else will be a lot of bother.

Why not get a different, shorter fitting, which may give you a bit more space to pass underneath. Like standing on tiptoe, or jumping, for instance.

The only way to do this reasonably well is to remove that middle chain link, and replace with a much smaller link.

Anything else will be a lot of bother.

Why not get a different, shorter fitting, which may give you a bit more space to pass underneath. Like standing on tiptoe, or jumping, for instance.

I live in a rented flat, would need to get permission from landlord, etc :(

Unfortunately even a really small link will mean I will still bang my head against it.. What I do right now is turn the middle link vertically, but my head still makes contact with the fitting (it's down to like a quarter of an inch)

I think it would be best if the lower link went through the upper one, that would give me enough space so I won't have to walk hunched...

You could tie the two rings together with something like silver wire ( OK tinned copper wire ) and leave the link loose. I would look a bit untidy but it would save your head.

Sponsored Links
We had the same problem at my parents house I just used a strong cable tie to join the two links its been that way for years now with out issue and Noone has ever noticed it. You could even leave the extra link attached incase you ever wanted to reverse the process.

We had the same problem at my parents house I just used a strong cable tie to join the two links its been that way for years now with out issue and Noone has ever noticed it. You could even leave the extra link attached incase you ever wanted to reverse the process.

Cheers mate. What sort of cable would you recommend? Obviously it would need to be quite strong and I would have to tie one link next to the other, I think this would give me maximum space.

Aren't cable ties going to look rather... naff?

What about removing the middle link, and running a bolt with a couple of large washers on through it like this:

Stainless steel, or nickel plated for appearance, ditto a cap headed screw and a cap nut. The latter would also mean you could tighten it up to the bolt, but still have some play in the assembly, and the light could still move about if anybody did knock it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back