how to terminate network cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be running 7 cat5e network cables around my house next week (possibly 14 if i double to each outlet), and 7 phone cables (using cat5e). Its a 2 up 2 down, so this is excessive by anyones standards :LOL: . Also running 4 co-ax's, plus 2 feeds and return from lounge TV area.

Question 1. Where should I run the cables back to? I have 3 choices.
  • Under the stairs (cold and a little musty)
    Big cupboard over the stairs in master bedroom, contains boiler.
    Loft.

Question 2. Are there any smaller scale methods of terminating the cables, other than using a patch panel in a data cabinet? (Though I dont fancy crimping on plug ends, never done that).

Question 3. I am going to be having "phone line" broadband (As opposed to cable), and would like wireless as well as wired outlets. So my current plan is to have BT master socket > filter > wireless 4 port router > network switch > patch panel (7/14 links). Does this sound ok? Would with wireless kit be able to "see" the wired kit on the network?

Question 4. What equipment would you recommend for the phone extensions? I was thinking a couple of 4-way junctions, with the cat5's taken straight into them. Would this work?

The TV system will use a loftbox, with two feeds down, for twin LNB, FM and terrestrial, and return for distribution, and 4 feeds to rest of house.

EDITed to add the house has a solid ground floor, therefore all cables will be distributed in the upstairs floorspace.

Sponsored Links
I have done a similar thing, ran two cat5 cables to each outlet thoughout the house, to answer your questions:

1) under the stairs is where I would fit it in your case for a couple of main reasons, the first being hopefully this is where power will be available , the second is it is quite cool, my router (Netgear) trips and locks up when the ambient temerature gets too much for it.

2) I used a mini system SOHO (small office home office) equipment found on the net, it has worked for me, 16 outlet patch, couple of shelves for kit and an telecoms panel with in built ADSL filter. Termination is with an IDC (Insulation Dispacement Connector) tool (Krone tool), relitivley cheap to find via google. Coulours are embossed on the back of the patch sockets, so its straightforward to wire.

3) Thats what I'm using right now, wireless connectivity for the lappy and 4 hard wired PCs, also feed for the Wii.

4) for the phones, the outlet plate I used has room for two modules, I used one for RJ45 the other for BT type where needed, in the office two or 4 way outlets. You can get master or secondary taps for the RJ45, It was easier just to get the right outlet rather than plug on plug as it were.

Ian

Question 1. Where should I run the cables back to? I have 3 choices.
  • Under the stairs (cold and a little musty)
    Big cupboard over the stairs in master bedroom, contains boiler.
    Loft.

Fix up under the stairs and use that. Cold beats heat and humidity.

Question 2. Are there any smaller scale methods of terminating the cables, other than using a patch panel in a data cabinet? (Though I dont fancy crimping on plug ends, never done that).

Not really, no. Crimping 8P8Cs on is very easy, but a very rough way to terminate fixed wiring.

Question 3. I am going to be having "phone line" broadband (As opposed to cable)

DSL, then.

and would like wireless as well as wired outlets. So my current plan is to have BT master socket > filter > wireless 4 port router > network switch > patch panel (7/14 links). Does this sound ok? Would with wireless kit be able to "see" the wired kit on the network?

Yes, this is fine. If you use a metal comms cabinet, put the router on top. Faraday cages are not useful for wireless connectivity. :)

Question 4. What equipment would you recommend for the phone extensions? I was thinking a couple of 4-way junctions, with the cat5's taken straight into them. Would this work?

Just terminate it into the patch panel. Take the feed from the master socket to the back of the last port on the patch panel, the first run to the extensions off the second to last port, and bridge them with a very short cable. From there just run it from one socket to the next. This allows for easy disconnection of the extensions without needing to remove the faceplate, too. I can't really think of a neater way to do it if you're going to have a patch panel handy.

Do run two ports to each room. For the price of cat5e, it's well worth it.

If you're not running too many cables the modular boxes like THESE are suitable. I used these in each room too but a small patch panel may be more cost effective. If you can borrow a krone tool it will make your job so much easier.

Sponsored Links
The OP said "other than using a patch panel in a data cabinet?"

Other than terminating one end to RJ45 plugs there is no other choice. I think you will find a couple double gangs with RJ45 modules takes less space than the smallest patch cabinet.

Doesn't provide anywhere to site the other equipment, though. A 6U comms cabinet with a patch panel and switch is about the best option, and provides a lot of space for expansion.

The fact is the OP asked other than that!! A 6U cabinet takes up a lot of space depth wise, a lot of switches/routers can be wall mounted just like the double gang sockets.

And I'm just giving my own opinion to add to the advice being given, is that wrong? He's obviously still considering the patch panel, he's just asking about alternatives..

Not wrong at all just don't slate advice others are giving which provides the OP with a solution along the lines of his original post.

Not wrong at all just don't slate advice others are giving which provides the OP with a solution along the lines of his original post.

Fair enough. Those 'BT to RJ45' kits are ridiculously expensive, though..

I've spent a lot more on a cable to connect a TV to a DVD player. Supply & demand. At the end of the day one did exactly what i wanted, i can change between voice & data at ease and i don't have a patch panel.

I've spent a lot more on a cable to connect a TV to a DVD player. Supply & demand. At the end of the day one did exactly what i wanted, i can change between voice & data at ease and i don't have a patch panel.

Still, at 15 quid I can buy the tool, connectors, and cable, and make these things myself all day long.

That can be said for pretty much any cable money can buy. Still, i think we have detracted away from the OP's question enough now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back