How to use this expanding fixing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was going to use one of these fixings. I drilled a hole a bit wider then pushed it in. Then tried to turn screw so the metal in hole expanded outwards with outside bit hammer in so it digs into wall. Is that correct?
15147977389331078317028.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that correct?

Yes, but it can often go wrong and start rotating in the hole, especially if you've never used them before. It'll be SO much easier for you with one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231839678399

Also, the one in your picture looks like it is for double skin plasterboard. Do you have doubled skinned walls?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes, but it can often go wrong and start rotating in the hole, especially if you've never used them before. It'll be SO much easier for you with one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231839678399

Also, the one in your picture looks like it is for double skin plasterboard. Do you have doubled skinned walls?

Yeah, it's one of the longer ones. Is it supposed to go behind the back (2nd) plasterboard and expand behind it? I am using it in these brick sized white soft things which are more crumbly and normal brown plugs don't get a great fixing in garage- will send photo. They arent as hard as orange bricks. I used a shorter one before in crumbly old plaster (in an old house) where the hole was big and it worked well,

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
“these brick sized white soft things “
Not a description of any building material I have seen.
What’s the garage made of?

As above - these are for hollow walls ......the thickness of which is determined from the screw head until the first corrugation of the fixings shaft. I find lots of these that are the wrong size for the wall so they remain loose. :eek:
John :)

You might like to try shield anchor/bolt (don't over-do the tightening or the block will crack) propr plugs for lightweight blocks or even chemical fixing if you can get the drilling dust properly clear (compressed air or blowing tube)

Nozzle

“thes
1514834237628291898039.jpg
e brick sized white soft things “
Not a description of any building material I have seen.
What’s the garage made of?

Been trying to use the expanding screw( as in pix above) and without the screws which they both come with. Trying to use a longer screw to account for the shelf bracket's length as well

Tried these as well. Hardcore screw.
Anyone know material am drilling into?
15148351353681862406993.jpg

This bolt/screw thing is really strong. Just put it in.

The other two were pulling out of hole or turning when I tried to do screw up. The plug is 10mm so hardcore

Last edited:
The only correct fixing here is the plastic plug.....the other is a hollow wall fixing, and the one in your small pic is a plasterboard fixing.
If you are using a 10mm plug, use a 10mm drill, deep enough to accept the screw along its length. Thunderscrews are another option for good quality substrates - they cut directly into the block without a plug.

The only correct fixing here is the plastic plug.....the other is a hollow wall fixing, and the one in your small pic is a plasterboard fixing.
If you are using a 10mm plug, use a 10mm drill, deep enough to accept the screw along its length. Thunderscrews are another option for good quality substrates - they cut directly into the block without a plug.

So u would use a seriously thick screw for those 10mm plugs? Where would u get those?

The plasterboard and hollow wall are the wrong ones? The expanding on (I believe called it hollow wall) was what I was recommended by a chippy in b and q.

What is this soft brick anyhow?

Your "hardcore" screw is designed for use without a plug, small hole the diameter of bolt without the thread, which is why it does not hold.
The rest are not for solid walls apart from the plug which looks to be much too large for the job.

Think the chippy recommended the expanding fixing because of the soft brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back