How to use this expanding fixing?

Think the chippy recommended the expanding fixing because of the soft brick.
This is what happens to an umbrella fixing when properly installed into a hollow plasterboard wall and set using the setting tool:

Umbrella Fastening 001_01.JPG
Umbrella Fastening 001_02.JPG
Umbrella Fastening 001_03.JPG

You can readily see that the type of fixing you are using won't work at all well in solid blockwork because the "umbrella" can't readily open in the block material. The type of fixing below, the Fischer UX (designed for soft blockwork and plasterboard):

Fischer UX-6 001_01.JPG
Fischer UX-6 001_02.JPG

does work in the circumstances you are talking about. Is it possible there's been some confusion about which Fischer fixing was being referred to? See Fischer web site for details

Sponsored Links
Tried these as well. Hardcore screw.
Anyone know material am drilling into? View attachment 133688

This bolt/screw thing is really strong. Just put it in.

The other two were pulling out of hole or turning when I tried to do screw up. The plug is 10mm so hardcore

That's a 6mm thunderbolt. You don't use them with plugs.
Just drill a 6mm hole.
And are the best form of fixing into masonry.

Yeah, it's one of the longer ones. Is it supposed to go behind the back (2nd) plasterboard and expand behind it? I am using it in these brick sized white soft things which are more crumbly and normal red bricks and brown plugs don't get a great fixing - will send photo. They arent as hard as orange bricks. I used a shorter expanding fixing before in crumbly old plaster (in an old house) where the hole was big and it worked well,

Can you get thunderbolts out relatively easily when you want to take them out? Best to put them in and out with a rachet?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back