How to wire a Pull Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

I have just bought myself a Pull Switch wall light, The light itself has a Black wire, White Wire and the Earth wire, The pull switch just has two Black wires, The instructions make no sense so I was hoping someone will be able to tell me where all the wires go, especially the two black one's from the pull switch.

Thank you in advance. :cool:

Sponsored Links
Black wire, White Wire and the Earth wire, The pull switch just has two Black wires, The instructions make no sense so I was hoping someone will be able to tell me where all the wires go, especially the two black one's from the pull switch.
Sound like USA wiring to me. Black is hot and white is neutral in there system. We call it line not hot.

But since they also use 120 volt and 60Hz really need more info.

I have just bought myself a Pull Switch wall light, The light itself has a Black wire, White Wire and the Earth wire, The pull switch just has two Black wires, The instructions make no sense so I was hoping someone will be able to tell me where all the wires go, especially the two black one's from the pull switch.
We really need some photos (of light and switch, with their wires), and also a scan or photo of the instructions, if we are going to be able to help you.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the OP is explaining the terminals that require connecting to and the switching in/out!

And if that is the case, logic would say black is the line and white neutral.

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly, I attaching it to a wall plug. Out of the light fitting itself is the Black and the White wires which I assume is the Live and Neutral, also coming from the back and bolted on is the Earth wire. Then additional to this on the bottom of the light casing and coming from the little pull switch is two black wires that solely relate to the pull switch and these are the two I am unsure of. There is also a small connection block included in the bax. The reason I have not sent a picture is the is only one of the light and not the connections, so they are of no help.

thank you for your replies so far.

Out of the light fitting itself is the Black and the White wires which I assume is the Live and Neutral, also coming from the back and bolted on is the Earth wire.
Are those wires connected to anything, or just 'loose'?
Then additional to this on the bottom of the light casing and coming from the little pull switch is two black wires that solely relate to the pull switch and these are the two I am unsure of.
Again, are those wires connected to anything?
There is also a small connection block included in the bax.
Do you mean 'in the box'? If so, and if none of those wires are connected to anything, it sounds as if I was right in saying that the fitting was 'missing' its connector block - so you'll probably have to connect the wires to it. How many terminals/holes are there in the connector block?
The reason I have not sent a picture is the is only one of the light and not the connections, so they are of no help.
We were hoping that you would be able to take a photo of the connections/wires (and instructions). Is that not possible?

As has been said, you don't seem to have normal UK wire colours - where did you get this light from?

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

I will get the camera out tomorrow and upload something, but just to update, the wires are just loose (except obviously where they come out of). The connecting block has three segments on it. I'm just about the two black switch wires.

Hi John I will get the camera out tomorrow and upload something,
Thanks.
... but just to update, the wires are just loose (except obviously where they come out of). The connecting block has three segments on it. I'm just about the two black switch wires.
If my suppositions are correct, you're actually going to need four 'segments' (including the earth) but that will become clearer once we've seen some photos.

Kind Regards, John

Hi yes

Bought from uk seller, where from before that I'm not sure. Can you see my pictures, they are in a album called Light switch

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back