How to wire a Pull Switch

Sponsored Links
Connect one black wire from the switch to the black wire going to the lampholder.
The other black wire from the switch is line.
The white is neutral.
Yellow earth.

Sorry for my ignorance, Does line mean the live wire, and when I join the other black wire from the switch to the Black wire from the lamp do they then join to anything or remain on there own.

Ray

Hi John ... This is everything in the box, except for the shade, hope you can help now.
It would be easier/neater if you have got, or can get, a 4-segment connector block. Alternatively, you could use a separate 1-segment bit for the earth. Something like ....

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John You are an absolute bloody star, thank you so much.
You're welcome.

Make sure that you don't leave any bare bits of any of the wires sticking out of any of the terminals in the block, because, if you did, they could easily touch the metal casing.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry if I didn't explain it properly, I attaching it to a wall plug.
Do you mean a flexed plug and socket arrangement or are you connecting directly to a socket outlet?

In each case you will have to select a suitable sized fuse to protect the flex/cable. This may mean popping a 3A fuse in a plug or could mean fitting a 3A fused connection unit (assuming the socket is not of a lighting circuit).
Also if you have buried any cables in walls, they will need to be routed in the safe zones or mechanically protected, there will also be RCD protection to consider.

It's been sorted.
In a callously dangerous, irresponsible way which has not properly helped the OP and is yet another shameful episode of encouraging people to do things which could get them, or others, killed, and supporting the OP in his belief that it's perfectly OK for him to not be ***ed to do things properly because somebody else can be relied on to do for him what he cannot be bothered to do for himself.

In a callously dangerous, irresponsible way which has not properly helped the OP and is yet another shameful episode of encouraging people to do things which could get them, or others, killed ...
I thought the comment to which you were responding ("It's been sorted") was about the posting of photos.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back