How to wire up 2 outside low voltage halogen lights to a PIR

Sponsored Links
How is the switch wired? How many cables go to it?

not tried that yet but it is a double - 1 for hall and 1 for outside front door lights

ok- switch wiring- 3 cables- switch for outside light has a 2 browns connected to it.One from one cable the other from the other.the 2 blues are connected togther with a piece of terminal block.the hall switch is 2 way switching so I guess the other cable is a 3/4 core.

make any sense?

mmm. Maybe your lights are getting power from the Hall live in the switch.

The only thing I can think is that one wire in the light is from the switch and one goes to another light.

Take a look in the switch (after making sure it isn't live!) and see what you have there.

Basically, you need to insert the PIR between a switched live and the lamp. So you need to see which wire the switched live is.

Sounds like it's picking up a live and neutral from inside the switch (the two blues connected together). I assume the two browns are connected to different terminals on the switch?

The neutral and switched live then go to a light. The next light is daisy chained in, and then the next.

You need to work out which light the switched live goes to first and connect the PIR between the switched live and the first lamp.

If you cant see where the wire goes, get a multimeter and test the wires.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's picking up a live and neutral from inside the switch (the two blues connected together). I assume the two browns are connected to different terminals on the switch?

The neutral and switched live then go to a light. The next light is daisy chained in, and then the next.

You need to work out which light the switched live goes to first and connect the PIR between the switched live and the first lamp.

thanks for the help
will attack again tommorrow for now

cheers

Ok I tackled this job again today and when I took out the first light from the soffit and disconnect the two twin earth cables and switched the power back on I found one cable(lets call it cable A) had 240v between live and neutral and the other (cable B) had no power.

So I presume cable A is the power feed to the first light and cable B is the "daisy chain" to the next light.

So I wired in the cable A feed to the PIR incoming terminals and firstly the first low voltage halogen lamp to the load side.Powerd up and flicked the hall switch.

A click can be heard at the PIR and the instruction manual says the lamp should come on right away but no lights came on apart for the clicking of the motion sensor when I move past it.

I also tried connecting cable B (daisy chain) and the fist lamp into the load side but still nothing

I even thought the PIR was faulty so I returned it for another but it is still the same.

Is it as simple as live in and load out cos I am getting frustrated and really need help to complete this job

cheers

last bit.

yes, yes it is, but you cant connect a 12v lamp to mains which is what you imply you have done.

although it would have worked for abot 1 nanao second

last bit.

yes, yes it is, but you cant connect a 12v lamp to mains which is what you imply you have done.

although it would have worked for abot 1 nanao second

Both the halogen lamps are connected to their own transformers!

i never saw the mention of transformers, but ok.

why not (for testing purposes) connect a pendand lamp holder with normal lamp to where the transformers will be and see does this work

i never saw the mention of transformers, but ok.

why not (for testing purposes) connect a pendand lamp holder with normal lamp to where the transformers will be and see does this work

yeh I thought of that.I will have a look for a spare pendant and if it works it looks like that type of PIR will not switch the halogen and transormer but the instruction manual says that the PIR will switch DC loads aswell.

I have tried adding the schematic wiring diagrams which are in the instruction manual with the post but I cant seem to manage.There is a instruction manual on the screwfix website

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back