How to wire your own battery to a cordless tool (edited)

Do you want a battery for your tool, or would you prefer to spend your life moaning about things?
I want a battery for the tool as well as my 3 year promised warrenty upheld. At the moment I have neither, so I am hear moaning about it

Sponsored Links
I think for the purposes of keeping this thread alive, we should encourage the OP to open up the tool and see what the terminals are connected to. Then he'll know which way around to connect it to the mains.
Cool idea! never tough of that one myself, well it might be worth a sticky thread hear, should it be unsucsessful and found to be dangeruss

Ebay is an oligarchy institution there to destroy you. I have my CCJ against them and I have been paid from them now and I have now moved on with my life!
People normally have disputes with sellers. That you've managed to fall out with the body corporate to that extent makes an interesting declaration..

Never mind, there is always Amazon for an even bigger punch on the nose..

You'll note that the terminals are marked, though amazon's picture is too low quality to discern what the markings say..

might be worth a sticky thread hear
There's a separate sister site at DarwinAwards.com for such

IF you google "aldi ferrex 40v battery pinout" there are several hits that talk about the dismantling of these batteries.
They may have the pinout.
Big Clives starts showing the +/- pins

Sponsored Links
I think for the purposes of keeping this thread alive, we should encourage the OP to open up the tool and see what the terminals are connected to. Then he'll know which way around to connect it to the mains.
I'm not so sure that it would be a very clever idea for him to connect his (battery-powered) tool "to the mains" ;)

Kind Regards, John

Well at least you only had to read my post twice before you spotted it.
No, I noticed it at the first read but, since "I knew what you presumably meant", I didn't bother to comment at that time.

It was only when the OP replied to that message of yours with ".... should it be unsucsessful and found to be dangeruss" that I thought I would add my little quip :)

Kind Regards, John

People normally have disputes with sellers. That you've managed to fall out with the body corporate to that extent makes an interesting declaration.
I go deeper down the rabbit whole then to play the stupid and childish like devide and rule game

Never mind, there is always Amazon for an even bigger punch on the nose..
you really are now taking the bisket!

You'll note that the terminals are marked, though amazon's picture is too low quality to discern what the markings say..

There's a separate sister site at DarwinAwards.com for such
for 60 quid though! surly not worth the bother with zero to little garunetee of being shafted by there system

I'm not so sure that it would be a very clever idea for him to connect his (battery-powered) tool "to the mains" ;)

Kind Regards, John
me neither! was thinking 12 volt batterys in parallel

Hmm..

Two 12v batteries in parallel is neither 20v, nor 40v; it is still 12v

You really would be better off (from both health and wealth perspectives) just buying the appropriate battery for the tool

Hmm..

Two 12v batteries in parallel is neither 20v, nor 40v; it is still 12v

You really would be better off (from both health and wealth perspectives) just buying the appropriate battery for the tool
Or just taking it back to the shop

I own a Aldi's type Ferrex cordless angle grinder (faw 40Q) 40volt that I bough from Aldi that has no battery!
Im considering taking it back or just wiring my own stuff to the tool
Trouble is the tool has 5 pins on it with no simbols unter any of the pins or enything! what ever happened to positive and negative
Both the batteries and chargers are available on ebay, though many are selling at higher then original price you can find some at good prices now and then. NOTE the 20V battery will not work.

Though the battery is 40V its basically the same as other 36V ranges but you will struggle to find a non-aldi at 40V 2.5Ah

As others have mentioned Big Clive has done a strip-down of the battery if you really want the pinouts

If using 12V batteries you will need to wire 3 in series to get enough voltage, but note the balancing issues Clive mentions.

I am rather alarmed that Aldi have stopped doing mail order, and I do not see any cordless tools in their shop or the Special Buys leaflets.

It would be very annoying if they discontinued the range that fits their own line of battery.

I am rather alarmed that Aldi have stopped doing mail order, and I do not see any cordless tools in their shop or the Special Buys leaflets.
In terms of tools etc., I've got many 'very good bargains' from Aldi, and many (probably most) of them have been surprisingly good. However, when they have been cordless tools, I have always regarded them as 'probably disposable', in that I had no expectation of being able to replace the battery when the original one(s) dies.

It's nothing new. In the pre-Aldi days, I would a good few cheapo own-brand tools from the 'sheds'. Again, most wer quite adequate for my purpose, and the 'corded' ones were straighforward (some of them still 'going strong'). However, when cordless I have, again, always accepted that I probably would not be able to replace the batteries when they died.

It's really a case of 'paying your money and taking your choice'. I could, for example, buy DeWalt tools, and be fairly confident that replacement batteries would be available for a good while - but I could probably buy at least half a dozen Aldi tools for the price of one DeWalt one (and probably several Aldi ones for the price of a DeWalt battery :) ).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back