How to wire your own battery to a cordless tool (edited)

I am rather alarmed that Aldi have stopped doing mail order, and I do not see any cordless tools in their shop or the Special Buys leaflets.

It would be very annoying if they discontinued the range that fits their own line of battery.
Did you see the post with the number of the spare parts line, which do do batteries via mail order?

If they discontinued a battery and yours went kaput it's relatively trivial to turn it into an adapter for another one of the battery brands you have

Sponsored Links
If they discontinued a battery and yours went kaput it's relatively trivial to turn it into an adapter for another one of the battery brands you have

It's also not that difficult, to simply buy a set of cells, and rebuild most batteries in the old case.

I find it not worth the effort and expense for a one-off

Sponsored Links
It's also not that difficult, to simply buy a set of cells, and rebuild most batteries in the old case.
I've tried that one a few times (in the fairly distant past) and, even if one can find cells with physically fit, I'm not sure I would say "not that difficult".

From my recollections, one of the main problems is that the 'straps' which are commonly attached to the cells (and cell casings) do not seem amenable to soldering, and would normally be welded together - but I don't have the necessary to do that. ... but maybe that's 'just me'!

Kind Regards, John

From my recollections, one of the main problems is that the 'straps' which are commonly attached to the cells (and cell casings) do not seem amenable to soldering,

Plumbers flux works just fine, electronic multicore solder is just not aggressive enough.

A small spot welder is easy enough to make - car battery, and a starter solenoid to deliver the current, switched by a push- button.

Plumbers flux works just fine, electronic multicore solder is just not aggressive enough.
I've certainly tried that, and it didn't work for me. It might have worked if I had brought my "plumber's blowlamp", as well as the plumber's flux, into play, but I was a bit worried about what that would have done to the cells :) ... but I have tried with a pretty meaty soldering iron.
A small spot welder is easy enough to make - car battery, and a starter solenoid to deliver the current, switched by a push- button.
I do recall thinking of that idea, but have never tried it. Maybe I will one day!

Kind Regards, John

I've certainly tried that, and it didn't work for me. It might have worked if I had brought my "plumber's blowlamp", as well as the plumber's flux, into play, but I was a bit worried about what that would have done to the cells :) ... but I have tried with a pretty meaty soldering iron.

It has always worked for me, and without resorting to anything other than my usual tc iron.

I've always used tagged cells, so so easy to solder those. The BIG problem I've found is more often than not the connecter (IE the plug that goes into the drill & charger) is fixed to the end of the cells and I have never managed to achieve that.

Of course the other problem is the cases are usually welded (the original B&D used barbed metal pins as well as the welding) and I usually resort to a hack saw and lots of glue.

I'm guessing more recent designs have straps between cells and plug/contacts so repair may very well be more feasible.

Recently I threw out 4 cordless drills dating back as far as mid 90's however I still have at least 3 electric drills of the same era which are serviceable.

I started using DeWalt 12V in a bid to get more lifespan but they ate the batteries and it was cheaper to buy a new drill than a battery and the 2 recell companies I use won't touch them and cite 2 reasons; the difficulty of getting into them and the short life expectancy.

Last edited:
The 40 V aldi ferrex is just two isolated 20V battery packs mounted in one case. you have the pinouts, go and buy some 18650 cells with tabs already welded on and make your own, or walk into Aldi, plonk down 30 for one or 60 for two and you are ready to go

Recently I threw out 4 cordless drills dating back as far as mid 90's however I still have at least 3 electric drills of the same era which are serviceable.

When the batteries die, I give my cordless tools to a chum who uses them on his boat, with a wander lead to the battery circuit. He has quite a range now.

I did once consider buying a battery spot welder on ebay.

But I didn't have much confidence in the quality of the units.

I might have considered it, too, had I known that such things existed!
Always a consideration/worry - but provided I was reasonably confident that it was fairly 'safe;, and if it didn't cost a fortune, I may have tried!

Kind Regards, John

He has quite a range now.
Surely he can only work on houses within a lead's reach of a watercourse ;)

I did buy a battery spot welder on ebay

And I definitely don't have much confidence in the quality of the units

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back