Humza Yousaf (SNP First Minister) resigns

Isn't the highest proportion of Gaelic speakers actuality in the areas / Islands* that support that their culture is closer to Norway than Glasgow?

* not quite sure how to describe

Sponsored Links
Isn't the highest proportion of Gaelic speakers actuality in the areas / Islands* that support that their culture is closer to Norway than Glasgow?

* not quite sure how to describe
Today, the Highlands and Islands region accounts for 55 percent of Scotland’s 58,652 Gaelic speakers. It is the island communities of Skye, the Western Isles and, to a lesser extent, the Argyll Islands, which are now regarded as the ‘Gaelic heartlands’.

Did't the outer Islands consider a referendum to join Norway rather than an isolationist SNP version of an independent Scotland?

I know a native gaelic speaker, she told me that to hear real gaelic being spoken, you have to go remote parts of Canada. The gaelic speaking immigrants that took the language there haven't had it diluted by English, like it has been here.

Sponsored Links
Isn't Gaelic a version of the old Celtic language though and shared between many peoples?

Did't the outer Islands consider a referendum to join Norway rather than an isolationist SNP version of an independent Scotland?
I think that was the Orkneys, much closer to Norway in terms of cultural and genetic heritage.

Ah may be so. Both quite magical places to be. Still remember camping with mum & Dab on a shell beach with dunes behind. The grass between was full of orchids.

Ah may be so. Both quite magical places to be. Still remember camping with mum & Dab on a shell beach with dunes behind. The grass between was full of orchids.
I believe the gaelic word for that area is machair.

“Independence feels frustratingly close,” Humza Yousaf proclaimed Monday as he resigned following the collapse of his government.

A five minute article at Politico goes into a little more detail on how wrong he is...with a warning that the pro-independence movement isn't far from the minds of a younger generation who will pick up the cause and carry it forward into an uncertain future.

“Independence feels frustratingly close,” Humza Yousaf proclaimed Monday as he resigned following the collapse of his government.

A five minute article at Politico goes into a little more detail on how wrong he is...with a warning that the pro-independence movement isn't far from the minds of a younger generation who will pick up the cause and carry it forward into an uncertain future.
The SNP love coming out with rhetoric like this, no surprise given independence is their sole reason for being. If the polls generally floated around 60% for and 40% against at a minimum, you could understand their desire to try and force their desires through. However, polling doesn't reflect this.

If Scots think Scotland isn't performing well under the current structure, good luck thinking it would be better if Scotland was independent with this shower in government ...

I agree the current polls show waning support for the SNP but give it another 20 or 30 years and there'll be different reasons to support the motion... like the ongoing failure of Bre*it to provide any tangible dividends. :LOL:

I agree the current polls show waning support for the SNP but give it another 20 or 30 years and there'll be different reasons to support the motion... like the ongoing failure of Bre*it to provide any tangible dividends. :LOL:
30 years away suits me, I'll either be 6 feet under or on my way!

Sponsored Links
Back