Humza Yousaf (SNP First Minister) resigns

Sponsored Links
Why so ashamed of Scottish culture?
I don't get it.
Show me in this thread where I've said I'm ashamed of Scottish culture ...

You're at risk of falling into Pat Ex territory.

Forum Member: I don't like the new VW Golf.
Pat Ex: Oh, so you hate VW eh?!? Do you realise they sell 1000's of their vehicles all over the world?!?

Sponsored Links
Show me in this thread where I've said I'm ashamed of Scottish culture ...

You're at risk of falling into Pat Ex territory.

Forum Member: I don't like the new VW Golf.
Pat Ex: Oh, so you hate VW eh?!? Do you realise they sell 1000's of their vehicles all over the world?!?
You've cited such disdain for Gaelic speakers before and i wonder why you begrudge funding in order to maintain living links to a traditional language. Is it not worth such trifling amounts of public money?

How much do they spend and what else could the money be used for? and of course if you are teaching kids in school Welsh or Gaelic, what more useful things could they be learning? Or is it way of making sure public sector jobs don't go to foreigners who can't speak the language.

More likely, putting the other comment into perspective.
About 1% of Gaelic speakers?
Does it matter how many speak the language since it maintains traditions that would otherwise become obscure and lost.

About 1% of Gaelic speakers?
Does it matter how many speak the language since it maintains traditions that would otherwise become obscure and lost.

Strawman: I said perspective.

A party whose name is little more than virtue signalling, by the looks of it.

AFAIK, DIY made no comment about "letting Gaelic die", to paraphrase your point.

No he didn't...although i'm sure he can speak for himself.
The implication of 1% of Gaelic speakers is it isn't worth funding - a point made by diy-scot before, and i wonder why it's an issue when the amount spent is minimal compared to other projects in Scottish culture.

lol, been away doing a little searchy search on my previous comments around this.

Apparently the funding has been scrapped. I have absolutely no issue with the Gaelic language as such, nor those wanting to speak it or teach others. What I do object to, given only ~1% of the population actually speak Gaelic, is having a 'welcome' sign in a local park with the Gaelic for welcome in larger text and the English in smaller text underneath.

I would assert if something needs constant funding and promotion to keep it alive, that in itself maybe says something about the appetite for its use.

What I do object to, given only ~1% of the population actually speak Gaelic, is having a 'welcome' sign in a local park with the Gaelic for welcome in larger text and the English in smaller text underneath.
There's a lot of that with this like town names as well, it's never bothered me.

It seems to become more of a thing the further north you go...is there a comparable Mason-Dixon line in Scotland?
Auld Scots; the language of Burns, is treated with the kind of reverence the English reserve for Shakespeare, but nobody suggests bringing it back, so the moves to preserve Erse appear to me linked with an Independence movement that's lost momentum, lost its leader and is losing its way with the electorate.

Sponsored Links
Back