HV Pylon Anatomy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inspired by RF Lighting's recent pylon post, here is mine:

This is the larger of two overhead supplies to an industrial estate.

Does anybody know what purpose the metal screens in the centre serve?

Also, what voltage are these carrying?

Sponsored Links
I have no idea. Just a complete guess, to prevent bird strikes?

My guess would be to limit the ability of a flashover on one side (including should a fuse fail in "a dramatic way") to affect the other side. But that's just a guess.
If earthed, then I could see they might be there to allow work on one side with the other live. But that's also a guess.

Is there anything about the site that might make the supplies need to have higher availability than normal ?

Not quite on topic but some 50 years or so ago, electrical distribution systems ( at least to my eye) were very neat and tidy. I've noticed over the past few years that pole mounted MV/LV distribution systems are getting very "messy" with multiplicity of "devices" most of which seem to be hanging off at any old angle. In international parlance they are starting to look very "Americanised". I suppose that's "progress" !!

Sponsored Links
Ah, that makes sense - thanks westie & top marks to SimonH2 for educated guesswork!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back