Hydrogen to heat homes a terrible idea: Gov to keep funding it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

In short hydrogen to the home for heating is going to be too expensive compared to using Electricity.

Also we should be spending 50% more on infrastructure and insulation programs than we do at the moment. £30 Billion Vs £20 Billion.

Sponsored Links
We work in a large residential building on leccy heating

3 phase electric supply installed to run the pumps

Sponsored Links
We work in a large residential building on leccy heating

3 phase electric supply installed to run the pumps
Oh dear, I do feel sorry for you, I have three ways to heat my home, oil, electric, and wood, and having lived through the winter of discontent never again would I buy a home that relies on electric to heat it. At that time we had gas, but with no electric the hot air gas central heating would not work.

I seems daft to use so much energy to convert the energy into a form we can use. We at one point instead of using solar panels we grew crops that were then converter into liquid fuel. No one seemed to consider if we grow crops for fuel, we are not growing crops for food.

To grow trees on a hill side, and once every 50 years cut them down for fuel, is a waste in a way, but not much we can grow on that hill side and harvest every year. But solar panels only harvest the sun, they do not collect the water, or convert carbon-dioxide into carbon and oxygen. So great where we can't grow crops, but silly used like this 1697966450713.png yes sheep can graze under them, but grass needs sun light as well, so can't support many sheep when the grass is in the shadow of the panels all the time.

So the answer is diversity, heat offices with heat pumps, if the electric fails, can't work anyway as lack of light etc, so heat pumps stopping is not a problem, we need to remove the blinkers, it does not help with the attitude not in my back yard. To get some other country to produce the steel, or mine lithium so we can rub our hands and say we are carbon neutral is stupid. Shutting our mines and importing coal from Poland is not the answer.

One looks at the easy things first, so first this electrify all our railways, and reopen rail links, Seven hours to do 49 miles is silly there is a railway going from Porthmadog to Caernarfon just over 19 miles, by road it was 29 minutes, but likely takes longer now due to 20 MPH limits, but by train it takes 3 hours. Same where I live, to local town 8 miles away by train 50 minutes, never mind 20 MPH it is allowed to go 15 MPH flat out, and it still beats the bus?

It seems instead of more buses so people don't need cars, the new 20 MPH speed limit is going to reduce the bus services, what a blinked attitude our government takes, at least Westminster is not labour ruled.

Oh dear, I do feel sorry for you, I have three ways to heat my home, oil, electric, and wood, and having lived through the winter of discontent never again would I buy a home that relies on electric to heat it. At that time we had gas, but with no electric the hot air gas central heating would not work.

I seems daft to use so much energy to convert the energy into a form we can use. We at one point instead of using solar panels we grew crops that were then converter into liquid fuel. No one seemed to consider if we grow crops for fuel, we are not growing crops for food.

To grow trees on a hill side, and once every 50 years cut them down for fuel, is a waste in a way, but not much we can grow on that hill side and harvest every year. But solar panels only harvest the sun, they do not collect the water, or convert carbon-dioxide into carbon and oxygen. So great where we can't grow crops, but silly used like this View attachment 317996 yes sheep can graze under them, but grass needs sun light as well, so can't support many sheep when the grass is in the shadow of the panels all the time.

So the answer is diversity, heat offices with heat pumps, if the electric fails, can't work anyway as lack of light etc, so heat pumps stopping is not a problem, we need to remove the blinkers, it does not help with the attitude not in my back yard. To get some other country to produce the steel, or mine lithium so we can rub our hands and say we are carbon neutral is stupid. Shutting our mines and importing coal from Poland is not the answer.

One looks at the easy things first, so first this electrify all our railways, and reopen rail links, Seven hours to do 49 miles is silly there is a railway going from Porthmadog to Caernarfon just over 19 miles, by road it was 29 minutes, but likely takes longer now due to 20 MPH limits, but by train it takes 3 hours. Same where I live, to local town 8 miles away by train 50 minutes, never mind 20 MPH it is allowed to go 15 MPH flat out, and it still beats the bus?

It seems instead of more buses so people don't need cars, the new 20 MPH speed limit is going to reduce the bus services, what a blinked attitude our government takes, at least Westminster is not labour ruled.

Why do
You feel sorry for me
Ultimately I don’t really give a war sit tbh

Just stating a fact

The same estate also have 2 biomass district heating schemes heating 30 plus props
Burning environmentally friendly wood via thete chipping plant

The large prop with the heat pumps is fed via heat from a lake def put a coat on in the winter around there

3 x 24 kw heat pumps
4 x 5 amp immersion heaters for hot water
450 volt supply

Setting fire to stuff is caveman level. Burning hydrogen is just a really inefficient indirect way of storing other forms of energy, as it takes lots of power to make and move it, many times more than you ever get back from burning it.

Heat pumps effectively multiply the energy, as they produce more heat energy than they consume, usually multiples of the amount.

Definitely agree that wood burning is (hopefully) not the future. Way more dangerous than oil, kill yourself and your neighbours while pretending you're doing good.

One thing's guaranteed, regardless of what the best solution actually is, government will back the wrong horse.

horses for courses

done a few air source heat pumps all in new builds , involved with one at the moment down stone henge way

its not all its cracked up to be imo

flats multi tenancy buildings will have a problem , and alot will have to cough up for some type of district scheme caper

the 2 bio masse set ups we are involved with are a bit of a disaster

high maintenance costs ?? spare parts from Italy and Austria is a nightmare the systems have oil back up which in the last year have been used more than the bio masse :giggle:

some companies ( Biasi) are pushing leccy boilers and combis , jeez us the running costs are huge (?)

Which tabloid rag did you read this in?

They're in widespread use worldwide. Do you think everyone using them is an idiot or part of the conspiracy?

probably a bit of both imo

although conspiracy may be a bit strong ?? vested finacial interest , in order to scam the population ? under the guise of the green caper

and save the planet

mean while one UK boiler company has dumped the UK and is doing very well flogging gas boilers to China , Algeria , Morroco , and other eastern markets ;):giggle::giggle:

port talbot have or are going leccy with the loss of what ? 2000 jobs , but there you go those losing there jobs will under stand tis all for a good cause \???????????????

probably a bit of both imo

although conspiracy may be a bit strong ?? vested finacial interest , in order to scam the population ? under the guise of the green caper

and save the planet

mean while one UK boiler company has dumped the UK and is doing very well flogging gas boilers to China , Algeria , Morroco , and other eastern markets ;):giggle::giggle:

port talbot have or are going leccy with the loss of what ? 2000 jobs , but there you go those losing there jobs will under stand tis all for a good cause \???????????????
This. Folk should never underestimate what's actually driving certain strategic decisions. Nowt to do with conspiracy theory, more to do with just not blindly believing everything we're told and being told it's always done in the best interests of voters, citizens, the environment etc.

PPE anyone? I think (although I'm too lazy to check) there's even a degree of proof that some companies that had experience in that field were not being awarded contracts, however companies with almost zero experience were. Sorry OT but links to my point re we'll never fully know what's going on behind the proverbial closed door ...

Sponsored Links
Back