Hydrophobic coating for freshly painted render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just paid a small fortune to have the render (roughcast) painted on my house. The chimneys are a particular problem and needed scaffolding. While the scaffolding is still up I wondered if I could apply a coating to extend the life/look of the finish - in particular inhibit the re-growth of algae (it was treated and cleaned before painting). I've seen some hydrophobic coatings which I thought looked promising but wondered if their were drawbacks, e.g. preventing future painting, ineffective... or should I just accept it'll need doing again in 5 years or so and start saving now?!

Sponsored Links
I have never used hydrophobic paints so I can't give you an authoritative answer.

The cynic in me questions the claims made by the manufacturers. I have seen, for example, a number of them claim that the paints even make your home warmer. They seem to be comparing unpainted render or brickwork with surfaces coated with their product. Whilst I am willing to accept their claims it seems obvious to me that any old masonry paint will prevent the render/bricks from soaking up water and therefore make the house warmer.

To date I haven't found any supplier willing to publish info regarding repainting. Frankly I can't see how you can repaint the stuff further down the line.

BTW, many makers recommend letting the render dry for a month before applying their paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back