Hyundai Terracan

BQW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about buying a Hyundai Terracan, but I read that the fuel tank rotting through is a common issue, is that also the same with the Kia Sorento ?

Sponsored Links
Two issues with these.....
1) The fuel fill pipe rots through
2) The inner tank coating fails and delaminates, blocking the in tank fuel lift pump.
This one depends on age of course, and Kia did recall some vehicles for this - some research needed if you intend to buy.
I’m referring to the Sorento here!
John

Thanks Burnerman much appreciated, are certain production years better than others, I am not after a newish Motor, just a £4k or thereabouts, work horse.
Any other suggestions for a cheap 4x4 to pull a trailer up muddy tracks, I have been put of X Trails because of rot and I don't want to spend my whole life under the bonnet of a Land Rover of any sort .

All I can really say is that the Sorrento had this fuel tank issue and I think it was a ceramic type coating that came adrift, blocking the filter - early models the one I worked on was an 05 vehicle I think. They also used to break the front springs on a regular basis.
Consider the Mitsubishi L200 or the Izuzu Trooper and include the Toyota Hi Ace in your search......all of these are sturdy and reliable with poor underbody protection - but are often worked to death! Do check the 4WD system for engagement though some of these are left in permanent 4WD which is a bad move.
Avoid the X Trail, The RAV 4 is good and maybe a Defender if there is such thing as a good one!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the RAV 4 does appeal to me as its not to big, easily parked in Supermarkets. The other one I quite like is a Suzuki Grand Vitara, the old V6 model. Proper selectable 4 wheel Drive. Thanks again.

Back