I am a fool

Another one today.

I thought it odd that this Excel was squirting at me while undoing the diaphragm chamber. CW Isolator off, Hot taps open, nowt coming out, what could be wrong??
Must be just a bit of trapped water behind a check valve or something, right?
Undo the screws to let a bit of volume out and it'll drop to nothing , right?
Then the water pressure pushed the edge of the diaphragm out of the gap under the cover, so I couldn't do it back up. Oh dear. Squirty squirty.

The Isolator had been put on the HW outlet instead of the CW inlet. Doh!!

Sponsored Links
i took the flush pipe off an old high mounted cistern

then flushed it

long day :rolleyes:

also on inspecting a small drip from a bit of rust on the pipe of an old cast iorn rad i created a boiling hot fountain that nearly cost me an eye

best bit was it was a huge old cinema long since converted

and i couldnt find any way of turning it off

for 5 hours

finaly we sledgehammered through a wall and found the stopcock

oh yeah then there was thr newly sited mains stopcock that hadnt been put together properly and as i used a turnkey the whole top of the tap came off and flew up about 20 ft in the air

flooded the entire basement of the building we were working on and as the whole tap had been badly installed they had the water off for the WHOLE block 4 three days

i had to buy the pints for a week on that one

capping off a radiant gas fire 'live' as the gas meter was pretty inaccessable, I unscrewed the isolator from the floor, and after undoing it (with 1/4' plug ready and pasted) the iron supply dropped away under the boards, completely out of reach.

Occupants were out (hence me trying a quick job), but never, never again.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Soggy_weetabix said:
capping off a radiant gas fire 'live' as the gas meter was pretty inaccessable, I unscrewed the isolator from the floor, and after undoing it (with 1/4' plug ready and pasted) the iron supply dropped away under the boards, completely out of reach.

Occupants were out (hence me trying a quick job), but never, never again.

Dave

in situations like that its best to stop light a fag and have a good think :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Apprentice drilled a 16 mm hole for the blast off through brickwork between the joists, he shoved 15mm pipe in while i waited for it, went downstairs to see 2.5 metres of pipe poking just below the living room ceiling just as the tennant walked in :oops:

Just remembered this one.

28cdi with a water leak but only when tap running.

Easy enough fault , new diverter to get and come back later to fit.

Noticed that the pressure was on zero so i get my cdi charging key and start to fill.

After a bit i am thinking effing hell this is taking some filling.

A shout comes from upstairs "MUM MUM there is water coming through the bathroom ceiling"

It was only on a open vented system and the overflow from the header tank had been knocked off. :oops: :oops:

Checked flue position for new to be fitted boiler by careful measurement from chimney breast. Started to drill, after we'd gone through 12" and still going withdrew core to have a look. On outside of wall chimney breast went further was still half drilling in chimney breast. So had to plug that hole and start again a little further over. This time whe I finished, rather knackered I rested the 117mm hot pastry cutter on the new kitchen lino.

showed a lady just how easy it was to ptfe the gland nut on a BELMONT rad valve on a sealed system.. turned of the valve rolled up a little ptfe and undid the gland nut, only to watch it shoot into the air atop a lovely black geyser. did i mention the room was carpeted in white shagpile and filled with antiques. :oops:

edited as cooking and typing doesn't mix :)

this wasnt me but someone i know . went to fit a new bathroom, the customer said the key will be under the mat. so off he went ripping out the old bathroom then some people turn up and say what the hell are you doing. he'd only gone and got the house next door which had also left a key under there mat :LOL:

Not done that but what i have done is walk into the wrong house after going out to get something from the van. :LOL: :LOL:

PRV on the combi valve of Vaillants Unistor is held on by a teeny weeny grub screw- which I taped to the side of the cylider so not to lose it. Didn't lose it- but didn't fit it either. At least I was in the house when it blew. Was looking across the hall and out of a window thinking, 'My, that's heavy rain' when I realised it was raining indoors too!

scatmanjohn said:
what i have done is walk into the wrong house after going out to get something from the van. :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: Done that today, probably not for the last time either.

Swapped out a bermuda for a shiny new greenstar upstairs in the airing cupboard. 'assistant' removed bbu and capped old circs. Got it all installed ready for first fill and stuck a lot of water in. Struggling to work out why there was no pressure there were no leaking rads or pipes anywhere so went to fill some more. Got a bit of a shout and ran downstairs to watch water pouring out from the bottom of the brand new hole in the wall fire. Plank had capped flow not return!

Lad i knew drilled a hole through bedroom wall just above skirting, drill went through but would'nt come out, pushed and pulled for a bit then went round to other bedroom to find he'd gone through a wardrobe and had a big ball of leather coat on the end of his drillbit. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back