I am a republican... but

It can be argued the high majority of 'the herd' have, at some point, thought for themselves, as individuals, from different locations, and decided they want to go to x place to pay their respects. When they get there, x 100s/1000s are also there, having reached the same decision. Call it herd mentality if you like, however it doesn't mean there wasn't individual thought at some point in the process.

I would suggest the majority are doing it, because lots of others are doing the same - they see it as 'the proper thing to do', rather than their own decision.

Sponsored Links
Frankly, if I want to show my respect to someone, I (try) do it whilst they are alive, they aren't going to notice when they are dead.
That's fine, on many levels makes sense. However, we don't always interact with those we respect on a regular or even semi-regular basis when they're alive for numerous reasons. So, when someone we respect dies, we often want to show our respect (call it retrospectively if you like) by going to funerals, going to graves once a year, etc.

And yes, as we touched on, when it comes to public figures who attract 1000s on to the streets, some of those will be people that simply want to be there to say they were. They might hold little/no feeling for the deceased person. There'll be all sorts in the crowds, herd followers, non-herd followers, those who deeply respected the deceased person, those who didn't, etc etc.

I would suggest the majority are doing it, because lots of others are doing the same - they see it as 'the proper thing to do', rather than their own decision.
That's their own thought, which instigates a self-generated decision, which might then lead to them becoming part of a crowd/herd. However, it nearly always starts with an original thought.

Frankly, if I want to show my respect to someone, I (try) do it whilst they are alive, they aren't going to notice when they are dead. I still think a lot of what we are witnessing is the cult of celebrity. In the late 90's the royal family were extremely unpopular. Have they changed as people, or have they become better at managing (read: manipulating) their public image? Are people mourning something real or something that has been manufactured?

My own thoughts exactly and something I have always said - you show them respect when alive, not when they are dead.

I think it is as you say, very much a manufactured image - they can afford to and employ very able image advisors. A lot of consideration goes into getting the best outcome, whereas use commoners just have to make the best of it, without such advice.

Sponsored Links
That's their own thought, which instigates a self-generated decision, which might then lead to them becoming part of a crowd/herd. However, it nearly always starts with an original thought.

If no one else did it, would they still show up to watch the hearse go by - I would think not

Must admit this country is very good at these type of state occasions

Any one recall when that mad mullah died in Iran ?? The total chaos in Tehran when his coffin was being carried / transported

Mind you the chaos self harm and general in controlled fervour for a mass murderer was no surprise

And yes exactly

My own thoughts exactly and something I have always said - you show them respect when alive, not when they are dead.

I think it is as you say, very much a manufactured image - they can afford to and employ very able image advisors. A lot of consideration goes into getting the best outcome, whereas use commoners just have to make the best of it, without such advice.

I remember the "Free Deirdre Rachid" campaign in 1998. I didn't buy the T-shirt, perhaps I really am a sociopath devoid of feelings for others.

I remember the "Free Deirdre Rachid" campaign in 1998. I didn't buy the T-shirt, perhaps I really am a sociopath devoid of feelings for others.

Who is/was Deidre Rachid? Many things pass me by.

[EDIT] Never mind, google came to help me out. Coronation St. I have never watch soaps and I would see the T-shirt as being a bit of a joke.

Must admit this country is very good at these type of state occasions

Any one recall when that mad mullah died in Iran ?? The total chaos in Tehran when his coffin was being carried / transported

Mind you the chaos self harm and general in controlled fervour for a mass murderer was no surprise

And yes exactly

Some people believe that by self harming they are proving their respect and sorrow, others buy the t-shirt or commemorative cup.

Who is/was Deidre Rachid? Many things pass me by.
Deidre Barlow, the Coronation Street character. When the character was locked up, the tabloid press ran a campaign to free her. Blair and Hague even added their 2 cents.

Remembering for a moment that we're all just a bag of chemicals which evolution has formed in a particular way, it would make sense for developed emotions, to encourage group activity and care for each other.
But evolution also gives us the power of rational independent thought, and the ability to alter our feelings about things. We can and do conrol our emotions, and change them over a period.
That quickly gets into the philosophy of morality and how it steers us. The point is that we can recognise that we have "animal emotions" but we can work out what to do based on a deeper belief system. For some that's a cosy off-the-shelf one (religion), for others not.

Accumulating with other people in certain situations may be comforting at some level for some, but something to avoid for others.

Sponsored Links
Back