I Does this look like MOT Type 1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our path and drive block paved so we can park on it they have dug out and put down the MOT TYPE 1. It doesn't look how I thought it would .
It seems like recycled from a building site there are some large chunks of concrete and brick it seems .
Hope these photos are ok

Attachments

• 20161215_173956.jpg
    20161215_173956.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 499
Sponsored Links
Looks about right, the grading is mainly about the ratios of different sizes. The idea is if it's mixed well, the largest pieces will be locked together for a firm base, but when compacted there won't be any voids.

Here are some more photos, and more importantly one from the day time
Yeah I was expecting more of what is in your link.

This looks like it's come from a building site, maybe crushed a bit, but not what you see on the sites selling it.

Should I be concerned about this going under block paving to be parked upon?
Should I get him to dig it up and put some proper stuff down?
20161215_174257.jpg

20161215_174308.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 15.39.53.jpeg

Sponsored Links
No expert but would think the variety of size in it would make it difficult to compact and for block paving you need a very stable base.

Looking at the photos now it does seem lacking in medium sized particles. We bought from wickes and it was all brand new stone, and was rock solid when compacted. Looking around at other people's drives, perhaps they used cheaper stuff with the wrong ratios. Agreed if you were promised proper type 1 then send it back.

Yeah looks like crushed building rubble but that said it will be fine, once compacted. The guy I get most of my aggregates from sells loads of it we use it all the time and it is less than half the price of fresh quarried. Only a couple of times have we refused it as it sometimes has soil like fines in it. As John said previously the grade refers to the mixture of sizes in the mix 40mm to fines in specified ratios, the actual material in it has no bearing on the grade and could be fresh quarried stone, concrete, shale, slag etc.
You have there what looks like crush and run which is graded through a different sized sieve and generally not carefully mixed to specified ratios. It is generally softer with less solids and is fine for anything that isn't going to carry vehicular traffic, we pay about £10-15/ tonne for that

ah paving expert that's where I'd seen the spec. couldn't remember. Book marked it now as there's some good stuff in there.

Thanks for all the replies
I popped along to J Hopkins (Contractors) Ltd in Trafford Park, where they got the stone from.
The Quality Engineer took me over to look at the Type 1 they sell. Really nice and friendly guy.

The result was, they have "slipped up" (or slipped in) some of the soil and rocks as that they dug out, prior to putting down the first level of Type 1.
I told them to take out the large bits, which they did.
And the second layer, which they went out to buy looked a lot better when it had gone down.

So all Ok in the end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back