I got....

H

herebriefly

pulled over by the police today.

Just driving along in my work van through a small town when the the lights and sirens came on. It was 2.30 pm

Pulled over and officer (no1) asks where Ive been, where Im going, "show me your driving license and insurance ducuments please sir". Well, I only had my license on me.

Anyways, he bu66ers off back to the police car (big fancy volvo estate with rapid response written all over the front) and then re-appears after a couple of minutes. Im then ordered to get out of the van and sit the back of the police car while officer (no2) gets out of the car, wanders over to the van and has a good look around the inside. He then wanders back and after several more questions asks if Ive been drinking today.

I told him I hadnt and he retorted "well I can smell something on you". He then got out the breath test kit and I did the test. I passed and he said "well, theres no alcohol - right, thats all, thanks."

Is this routine? - I did ask if my vehicle was looking suspicious and was just told "routine Sir.... now be on your way"

Just seemed a bit over the top to me.

David.

Sponsored Links
They get to tick a box for everyone they stop. Obviously no real crime to out there to be preventing. No real criminals to be looking for. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Not everyone out there's honest you know.

I saw a van that said in big letters: HORSES IN TRANSIT.

It wasn't even a Ford it was a Volkswagen.

They must think we're stupid. :rolleyes:

6 points, and then they're looking for the next red .....

6 POINTS! My vans blue, not PINK!

Im still a bit peeved. It cant be good for business to be seen (on a busy road) to be pulled from your van (sign-written) and put in the back of a police car - for doing nowt wrong! Im still wondering what I smelled of if it wasnt booze :eek: I dont wear aftershave but do use mouthwash :confused:

These were not regaular gendarmes (spelt wrongly) and Im wondering if a call was out to pull a blue gas van. Maybe someone had seen a similar leaving a 'watering hole' and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time? I know of a local gasman who drives a similar van who rickoches from pub to pub on a daily basis. :eek:

David.

I know of a local gasman who drives a similar van who rickoches from pub to pub on a daily basis. :eek:

Isn't it your public duty to grass this moron up and get him off the road to protect innocent people?

that's a bit harsh making you get in the back of their car..
if they suspect you of drink driving they can breathalise you either still in your own car or standing next to it.. in fact I'd insist on standing up as It's easier to get a lung full of air that way..

just out of curiosity, what colour are YOU?

did they asay why they pulled you over??

I think the law states that they cannot "routinely" pull you over for a breath test and that they need a "moving traffice offence" to justify pulling you

THEN they can say that they can smell intoxicating liquor on your breath OR say that they believe/suspect you are under the influence.

but without the moving traffic offence they are in a world of shyte if you were to complain!

did they give you any paperwork?

Ok some facts.

They cant pull you over for nothing. They cant search the van without good reason, eg, they have to have evidence of Drug Use (like the smell of cannabis) to search the vehicle under the Misuse of Drugs Act, or it stinks of alchohol to search it for drink, and breathalyse you.

You are not obliged to get out your car and sit in his car. You are not obliged to produce any documents, and most Road Traffic solicitors will advise you NOT to produce your licence at the road side.

You are entitled to record the conversation with the copper, whether he likes it or not, If he trys to prevent you, you point out you are recording for evidence purposes, and any attempt to stop you or delete the photos/ recording is destruction of evidence and illegal.

The general rule is say as little as possible to the police. You MUST realise the truth of the caution 'Anything you say may be used as evidence against you' - and nothing you say will be used in your defence. Every single sentence the copper says to you is designed to get you to incriminate yourself, and the more you say, even if you are perfectly innocent, the more can be taken out of context and used against you. They are NOT obliged to tell YOU anything at all, especially things that might indicate your innocence.

Take the question 'Do you know what the speed limit along here is'. This is a loaded question, like many question they ask you. there is NO answer you can give to this question that does not incriminate you. e.g "Yes it 40 MPH" - "Oh so you knew you were speeding" , or "No" - " Oh so you wernt paying due care and attention to the road markings" If at all possible, DO NOT give the police any ammunition, however trivial, say as little as possible. You are obliged ONLY to stop, and identify yourself.

If you are arrested, the officer MUST say to you after he cautions you 'Do you understand'. The Only thing you you say, and the thing you MUST say is 'NO, i do not understand the meaning and consequence of the words just spoken to me", and the copper IS legally obliged to record you rely. If you are asked to sit in the back of the police car, decline. If you are arrested and forced into the back, say nothing from that point on, and sign nothing till you have gotten legal advice.

Furthermore, when in the police car, yo are entitled to see a copy of PACE (Police and Criminal Evidence Act). They are supposed to have a copy in the car, but they never do, so everything stops then till they radio back to base and another copper drives out with it, and they then have to sit and wait till you read it, all 1700 pages. Another point is you are entitled to have a friend sit in the back with you and take notes about the conversation. If you cant record it on a mobile, at least do that. They wont like it, but they cant stop you doing it.

Realise that 80% of all convictions in court are because a copper stops someone, and in the subsequent conversation, the victim says enough to incriminate himself, even for things he was never stopped for.

The last time i was stopped, it was for creeping through a traffic light in heavy traffic, it went red when i was halfway across. Immediately a copper switches lane and chases me. The first thing i observed was a) hes alone and b) theres no video in his car. He walks over, and my son immediately starts recording the conversation using his Iphone. The copper asks me why i think he stopped me,, i said i had no idea. he said i went through the red light, i said i was sure it was amber. he said it was red, i repeated i was sure it was amber. He then clocks hes being recorded, and visibly reacts. He again accuses me of going on red, i said well we'll have to agree to disagree. He then says its lucky, he hasnt got his ticket book on him, or hed give me a ticket, and dont do it again., and leaves.

In fact he didnt have a leg to stand on. Every copper has a ticket book in the car, the truth was he was alone (and therefore didnt have another copper to lie and back up his story), he had no in car video, and there was no CCTV, so he had no video proof, but i had a recording of the conversation, so i can prove if he lies, so had it gone to court it would have been my word and my video against his word alone, and it would have got thrown out. So the ****** about having no ticket book was just to save face and exit with dignity from the hole he dug himself.

Copper always travel in twos so they can back up each others story in court. Take speed cameras, hand held. There not supposed to just gun anything that goes past in hope its speeding, the one with the gun has to 'form an opinion' you are speeding and then a second copper also has to 'form an opinion' that you are speeding, then they can gun you. OFC what happens in practice is they just gun everything randomly to see what they can catch and then collude and lie through there teeth in court about 'forming an opinion' first.

Take time to watch THIS:

WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER TALK TO THIS POLICE

Its american, but most of it applies here as well, its well worth watching.

Im still a bit peeved. It cant be good for business to be seen (on a busy road) to be pulled from your van (sign-written) and put in the back of a police car - for doing nowt wrong! Im still wondering what I smelled of if it wasnt booze :eek: I dont wear aftershave but do use mouthwash :confused:

David.

Be careful using the mouthwash. Almost all of them contain vast amounts of alcohol.
I was unlucky enough to lose my licence 3 ,1/2 yrs ago. Got banned for a year and did an alcohol awareness course and got 3 months off the ban.
Learnt my lesson and now don't drink at all when I'm going to drive. The lady taking the course brought a bottle of Listerine in one day, together with a breathalyser machine same as the cops use at the roadside. One swig of mouthwash showed up on the machine. That's why the manufacturers warn you to swill it round your mouth then spit it out (ooooerr missus). So that could be where the officer could have said he smelled alcohol.
Warning. Mouthwash contains more alcohol than most spirits.

Sponsored Links
Back