I Love DIY

• Thread starter cumbriahandyman
  • Start date
C

cumbriahandyman

Has a call this afternoon from the wife of a chap who had rilled through a water pipe. Had turned the stopcock but the water was still spurting out.

Turned the water off in the street and still spurting. Their carpet was soaking wet, could I come out and have a look.

By the time I got there the the leak had almost stopped.

They could not understand why the leak had not stopped when the water was turned off.

Anyway, cut out a bit of wall, did a temp repair and said I would be back on Tuesday to do a proper repair, make good the wall etc.

Refilled the boiler and left.

That should bring me in a couple of hundred quid. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:D another man's misfortune and all that

I worked on a fire damaged building a couple of years ago and was stripping out pipes conduits along with timbers etc. We were told all the waters off , so were disc cutting pipes left right and center.

My mate cut through a 2" steel pipe and water started to come out. He did think it was just water lieing in the pipe but when it started shooting 20 feet into the air realised that it was still live!.
So the pipe was traced back and of course the stop tap was siezed solid probably never being used in the last 100 years.

Problem solved by two plucky plumbers who fitted a compression fitting tap on the spurting end. They went home soaking wet but well paid fopr a relatively quick job :)

I took a circular saw to my floorboards so I could life one side the other side was under the carpet on my landing so I didn't want to disturb the carpet hence using my circular saw, next thing I heard was gushing water so I ran straight down the stairs and turned it off but I could still hear it and by this time the entire house had filled with GAS!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So that's my biggest brain fart of the year, cutting through the gas supply that feeds my combi boiler

Consider myself lucky cos them circular saws send sparks everywhere when cutting metal

Consider myself lucky cos them circular saws send sparks everywhere when cutting metal

Shyte, you are one lucky man, with that sort of luck, can you give me the numbers for tonights lottery. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The gas in the pipe couldn't have exploded cos it's full of gas....no oxygen. ;)

Some years ago I was working on an office refurbishment when the plumbers had froze, what looked like about a 3" diameter water pipe. The jacket had been on for about an hour, then they cut through the wrong side of the pipe. :eek: :eek: The look on their faces as the building quickly filled up with water was a picture. They had thought the pipe was an incoming mains supply, but it actually came from a great header tank on the roof. This was on the second floor of a 10 storey building too. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Never said it was going to explode did I.

Bit touchy tonight aint we.

Never worked on little gas pipes myself.
But used to assist in mains leaks and encapsulation joints with 6" mains upwards in my school holidays :D
admittidly many yrs ago:p

Never worked on little gas pipes myself.
But used to assist in mains leaks and encapsulation joints with 6" mains upwards in my school holidays :D
admittidly many yrs ago:p

Well done. Cannot see how that contributes to the discussion though. :unsure:

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Back