Water Meter Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a water bill for seven hundred odd quid last week so worked out our usage and decided to go onto a water meter. Meter was fitted Monday and I noticed it was turning with no water on. Turns out I've got a leak - about 60 litres/hour. On it's own the leak will cost me sixteen hundred quid a year. I could have the meter taken out - or rather I could go back onto a rated supply. You get 12 months to cancel. I'm tempted but can't get the waste out of my head.

Sponsored Links
60x24=1440 or 1.44 units a day x365x525 units round here a unit is £2.25 so about £120 so think your decimal point may be one out(y)

Sponsored Links
60x24=1440 or 1.44 units a day x365x525 units round here a unit is £2.25 so about £120 so think your decimal point may be one out(y)
1 litre/minute = 60/hr = 1440/day = 1.44m³ x 365 days = 525m³/year. at 3.08/m³ is £1617.00

a ton off water is 1000L is 1 unit so 1.44 a day is £2.25x1.44=£3.24x365=1182.60 or in your case 1617
ok having a bad day :LOL:
your right(y)

Well we know where the leak is, front garden/drive way or under the house. Do you have floor boards or a concrete floor?

Andy

If the leak is at the meter, (doesn't matter if it's inside your boundary), then the leak is the responsibility of the supplier and they repair it at their cost, not yours. We have 2 mains meters at the college. One on the public pavement and one in the plant room so we could take our readings from that one. Both were reading the same figure for months then 2 months ago I discovered the one in the plant room had a higher reading and we had a large pool of water on the floor. Manager contacted the supplier, (Anglia Water), and they came and repaired it free of charge even though it was inside the boundary and the leak was on our side of the meter connection.

House is solid floors - about 34 years old. Inside is bone dry so I don't think the problem is there. Had Bristol Water out on Friday. He couldn't pick anything up with his listening stick but said he wouldn't expect to at a rate of 60/hour - not quite enough hiss apparently. He's convinced the leak will be near the meter. He said the spigot on the back of the valve units have a tendency to crack - apparently they are repairing them regularly. He has booked a repair free of charge. If they find something they'll sort it - of they don't find anything they will trace the pipe for me whilst it's disconnected for a fee. About £50 including the VAT.

One thing I did learn was that the meter has only been there a maximum of three and a bit years. It currently reads 1685 cubes so it's probably been leaking ever since it was fitted. I've also been turning the water off at night and during the day when nobody's home. He's logged us for an 1800/day leak so we won't be charged for that amount until they finalise the investigation. All in all, not a bad service I thought.

All sorted, for those losing sleep over it. Bristol Water excavated the meter box but found nothing. A contractor told me about a local bloke who does leak tracing. I got him around and he marked an x on the ground. Dug it up today and found a cross threaded joint. Two new joints and a short joining piece and the meter is now behaving.

Sponsored Links
Back