I need legal advice re dodgy land lord + boiler

Sponsored Links
Yes he did.

Also I have received a message from landlord stating he is coming with an engineer tomorrow at 8am to try and diagnose the problem. My concern is that the eingeer will not be gas safe registered or he will bait them again on what to say.

My other question is legally do I have to let the land lord in? I don't see why he needs to be there as we are quite capable or explaining the pproblem to an engineer. If they are truely qualified they can look for themselves when we explain.

it's the legal obligation of your landlord to maintain the heating if it was in when you moved in, end of. Call your local environmental health officer for advice.

" Keep the structure of the building, including drains, gutters and external pipes in good repair.
Ensure that anything needed for the supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation is kept in working order.
Keep the equipment used for heating and heating water in good repair.
Make sure that the structural instability, serious disrepair or dampness don’t make the building unfit for human habitation"

http://www.hja.net/what-we-do/housing-law/your-landlords-obligations.aspx

A tenant can't be made to do repairs if it comes under the landlords obligation even if it's written in the tenancy.

Look up housing act, landlord obligations to repair. It's clear cut.

Problem you face is that if you have a short hold tenancy agreement and "rock the boat" your landlord can issue a section 21 and doesn't need a reason to do so.

Think it through before you take action.

if you have a short hold tenancy agreement and "rock the boat" your landlord can issue a section 21 .
Think it through before you take action.

Very good advice.

Negotiate politely first and if you are not bothered about continuing to live there give him hell! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Yes he did.

Also I have received a message from landlord stating he is coming with an engineer tomorrow at 8am to try and diagnose the problem. My concern is that the eingeer will not be gas safe registered or he will bait them again on what to say.

My other question is legally do I have to let the land lord in? I don't see why he needs to be there as we are quite capable or explaining the pproblem to an engineer. If they are truely qualified they can look for themselves when we explain.

I would let the landlord in and then you can say you have done everything required. You need to start a diary of events just incase.

By the way, did you give the landlord a "bond" when you moved in, if so did he register it? Makes all the difference if he does try to issue a section 21.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/

Join this forum, you will get all the legal advice you need ;)

You can also PM me if you need help.

thanks for the replies guys.

i will allow him entry tonight but have a feeling he will try to fob me off again.

also yes we gave him a deposit and i believe he has registered it. we have contacted our council to find out for certain if he has or not as they will get an answer out of him because we cant seem to get any clear cut responses.

will keep everyone updated

thanks for the replies guys.

i will allow him entry tonight but have a feeling he will try to fob me off again.

also yes we gave him a deposit and i believe he has registered it. we have contacted our council to find out for certain if he has or not as they will get an answer out of him because we cant seem to get any clear cut responses.

will keep everyone updated

You have no need to ask the council he should provide you with the info!!!!

"Within 14 days of paying your deposit, your landlord must provide you with:

the landlord or agent's contact details
which tenancy deposit scheme they are using and the contact details for the scheme"
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_a...e/tenancy_deposits/deposit_protection_schemes

What you need to do is keep calm about it all and log everything, dicta phones are good for it. Don't play into his hands. Just ask him to provide you with the info and if he doesn't just ask him why not. Remind him his obligations to provide you with the info within 14 days of you paying the deposit. Try not to wind him up, keep it all amicable but you must log everything because if he becomes funny and you can prove harassment you can argue illegal eviction if it comes down to it in the future. Won't keep you in his house for ever but it can buy you some critical time.

But you really don't want to go down that road so you will have to bite your tongue.

weve asked him several times but have not received it. we are logging as much as we can.

his "engineer" just came round and looked at the boiler for 2minutes and told me hes going to get gas safe round as he doesnt know what else to do with it. (although he is gas safe registered so it doesnt make sense to me)

i think he knows its had it or needs repairing and didnt want to do it there and then incase the landlord had a go at him.

in any case weve informed the landlord we will give him until wednesday. at that point the council are sending someone round to repair it and sending him the bill.

thank you for all the input. will keep you guys posted.

We finally got the boiler fixed but not by landlord, council sent in a contractor and invoiced him.

Boiler pressure returns o 0 after heating is shut off but when heating is on rises to about 1-1.5. Is it normal for pressure to drop this low? Sorry just worried that's all. Don't want any more issues but it seems to good to be true. Any help. Will be greatly appreciated

Pressurise it up to 1 bar when cold and see what happens over the next couple of days or so.

Ok but what about using hot water and heating?
Use as normal. You're just looking to see if there's a pressure drop due to a leak or the prv passing, or if the council boys didn't take it up to a working pressure when they finished fixing it.

as subman said its either a leak in the house pipework or the pressure relief valve is passing . as long as you havent a condensing boiler you can get an idea if the valve is passing by going outside and checking the small outlet pipe which goes from the base of the boiler to outside check it for any drips if not then you defo had an internal leak and check around all the bottom of the radiator valves as well

If you are worried about a disputed deposit keep a record of the LL behaviour and the problems he has caused you and send it to the deposit holding agency. Also, to your local council and benefits. They don't like errant LL's. They may not want to use him again. Get in there first. I am a LL and it is a piece of **** to keep tenants happy. Yours seems to have a silly attitude.

Sponsored Links
Back