I think my downstairs neighbour has removed a load bearing wall

I think, from when I was laying the new floor, my floorboards run left to right so joists are perpendicular

Sponsored Links
I was in helping her carry something in

If it wasn't a large steel beam you could be in trouble!

where the wall was at the side was rather like a pillar concrete

This suggests the possibility that there was a supported opening that was closed off and has now been opened up again. What came out, a load of bricks or wood and plasterboard?

Thanks for the tip on the council. I know she didn’t run it by them because she took the wall down herself with her son and hasn’t had a builder involved.

You don't need a builder, council would be in and out in 5 minutes

You're probably worrying too much about the electrics, in an old property there's often loads of redundant wiring and even new stuff looks scary and untidy when exposed.

If a fire door has been removed then hopefully you have already reported this, try Environment Health at your local council.

What was removed from in the flat? if its a solid wall then I'd be worrying.
Given what's just happened in the states I'd worry even more :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice.

I rang building control today and honestly they didn’t seem fussed. I gave them the address and they looked it up. They said that the person has not made a building control application and therefore they couldn’t do anything.

I might call again to see if I get a different person.

Maybe email building control and copy in your local councillors. Their email addresses are public and on local government website. Maybe also ring/email a councillor first so they have context.

Mention the miami building collapse, and, your concerns about safety, and, while, it may be nothing, you have a duty of care to the residents to check

That may nudge building control to pay a visit.

I agree with Jacko555 - what is the point of having a regulatory body if they don't regulate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back