I think the plumber has broke my wall...

Sponsored Links
@bernardgreen Hmm - thanks for this. Well its the full block depth in some places. I'm getting get email contractor back out tomorrow.
@HERTS P&D they both Welsh - so yes.
@Notch7 - no, there's no Fridge on this wall. Dishwasher and main sink.
@sxturbo - no its not dot and dab, thin plaster on to breeze block, at least half thickness and full block in one two places, hence the cavity wall insulation pouring through.
@Harry Bloomfield - yes, thank you.

Thank you all for your replies, I'm currently at work - will update accordingly tonight.

Its because there is an American Fridge freezer going on that wall and I bet the builder asked him to chase the waste in to ensure it clears

the plumber wouldnt have done it for no reason

Even so, it wouldn't need to be set back for the entire length of the run, he could have slopped it in just where needed, then back out.

Sponsored Links
no, there's no Fridge on this wall.
it says so on the wall -I guess thats old writing

Dishwasher
although thats on the far right I guess where the cold feed is

what the plumber couldve done is chase off the plaster then fit the waste with builders strap rather than brackets which holds the pipe off the wall -if thats necessary at all

usually base units have a 60mm service gap and the chippie cuts out a slot for services

Achoo!

4G78uX.gif

@bernardgreen Hmm - thanks for this. Well its the full block depth in some places. I'm getting get email contractor back out tomorrow.
@HERTS P&D they both Welsh - so yes.
@Notch7 - no, there's no Fridge on this wall. Dishwasher and main sink.
@sxturbo - no its not dot and dab, thin plaster on to breeze block, at least half thickness and full block in one two places, hence the cavity wall insulation pouring through.
@Harry Bloomfield - yes, thank you.

Thank you all for your replies, I'm currently at work - will update accordingly tonight.

Presumably this is supposed to say breeze block? Are you saying the whole block has a cut in it all the way through to the cavity?

yes in 2 places... its a full block deep. probably 1/3 to 1/2 the block for the rest of it. About 3m long like on the pictures. Im afraid @freddiemercurystwin gif is going to happen in the winter storms! please tell me this is easy to fix....

So - spoke to him today... He said he was asked to do it by the builder 'where needed' to fit appliances and get the required fall... but he wasn't sure 'where was needed, so thought he'd just do it all'.

After ive pointed it out to him and now he's had had chance to consult with some of his building friends, he's agreed he's had a lapse in judgement. So now, he's pulled himself off the job as he's unable to continue working on it if we are going to have to claim on his PL insurance.

Contacted a structural engineer with some details and pictures. He's recommended acro, don't sleep above it await his visit and full report. Plumber won't continue with anything as he's potential liable...now nothing else can go ahead, no one else will touch the job until the report is back with recommendations and we get an idea how to fix it.

So daughter can't sleep in her bedroom, kitchen won't be in before Christmas and no lounge as thats got the new kitchen in. All in all... awesome job by some half wit!

Unbelievable really, surely after the first foot or two along he must have realised he'd made a mistake.

It does look quite serious, which way do floor joists run on the floor above?.

I cannot believe that a plumber didn't understand that most kitchen cabinets (except Ikea ones) have a 50mm service void at the back and a 150mm high plinth height to work under. He must be the one in Russ Abbott's "Plumber's Song" where the singer refers to turning up "with some half wit that he's trying to train"

Seriously though, it should be possible to fix relatively quickly if your builder pulls his finger out and treats it a bit like an underpinning job - in other words props the floor above, puts in some extra timber packers into the gaps in the blockwork, then knocks out the blockwork on a hit and miss basis, replacing a block, leaving a block, replacing a block and so forth (starting with the worst damaged ones), then after the mortar has set in a couple or so days doing the same again with the remaining damaged blocks. We had a clown who did something similar with CH pipes on a couple of single skin brick walls a few years back and that's how we "cured" it. Cost us a week on our schedule

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like they thought they wouldn’t have the fall with the units only being 150mm from the floor. it’s a fair run and we can’t even see it all.
looks like a poor design . should have put the sink and appliances the other end.

Sponsored Links
Back