i want to replace a potterton suprima 60...but with what ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, recently moved into a new(ish) home..we currently have a POTTERTON SUPRIMA 60 boiler ( no idea what type..just know thats the name)..it runs the hot water & heating ( but seems a bit unreliable) its approx 12 yrs old i think..we would like a new boiler that would do the following....run the heating & hot water in a detached 4/5 bedroom house..with 2 bathrooms & 2 showers..we currently have 11 radiators in the house..and we have a hot water tank ( airing cupboard) & tanks in the loft the big cold water tank & the header tank)..question is what kind of boiler would be best to replace the potterton one ? i know there are a lot of if,ands & buts but i have no ideas about boilers at all & would appreciate any type of help/advice/suggestions at all...i recently came across a scheme called..MAGIC BOILERS SCHEME which aparently does some kind of discount on boilers as it is connected with the government...here is the list of boilers & prices...which type of boiler ( if any) would i need to be looking for or does anyone have any other ideas...this is the link ................ http://www.derby.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B5F9DAFA-16EE-4F10-940B-999CBD7F3285/0/MagicPriceJan2009.pdf

many thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
keep the suprima. assuming its had the pcb update should be pretty reliable. don't waste your money.

Changed my Suprima for a Worcester 24Ri, best thing I ever did was to bin the Potterton, total load of carp.

pcb update ?..whats that ?...told you i have no ideas about boilers :)...also, two replies so far...1 to ditch it...1 to possibly keep...thats the kind of answers i am looking for as well as advice..different opinions etc etc...cheers guys ...ALL other help/advice reccomendations really appreciated

Sponsored Links
ok,,,lets assume i have "binned it" :)..what from the link ( or any other place...would you reccomend i replace it with...?...thanks yet again

there's alot of suprima hating going on! I'm not fan of potterton in any way, but I have to say in my experience, the suprima isn't a bad boiler, as long as its had the latest replacement pcb. I can't honestly see how replacing this boiler with a new one is in any way cost effective. Most of the ones I look after have broken down maybe 2 or 3 times since new at the very worst, which is in no way new boiler territory!

Changed the PCB on mine 3 times in 4 years & because Potty knew they were a total load of carp, they loaded the price of the boards cause it was a nice little earner for them. Parts Centre always had at least 10 of these on stock because they knew they where needed.

Changed the PCB on mine 3 times in 4 years & because Potty knew they were a total load of carp, they loaded the price of the boards cause it was a nice little earner for them. Parts Centre always had at least 10 of these on stock because they knew they where needed.

yes your absolutely right, the pcbs were rubbish, pottertons response to the problem was diabolical, the fact they charged more for the upgrade than the original pcb was a p155 take on a massive scale. BUT..............
The new pcb IS reliable, and as far as a customer concerned, the most cost effective advice has to be to keep the boiler. I would not recommend a new boiler because of my personal feelings for a company and its product.
Tell me a good reason for replacing it, from a customers point of view?

The first 2 incarnations of the pcb were troublesome. The bbc watchdog website used to have and maybe still has a downloadable letter to enable people to get refunds from the manufacturer. The latest version of the pcb came with new wiring looms and so far has been ok.

My advice would be to replace the boiler if you are doing alterations, eg kitchen (if thats where it's sited), otherwise maybe wait until a major fault or old age, as chances are the major expenses have already been addressed.

Keeping or replacing is more art than science.
Personally, I don't rate pottertons at all, but if it works, why replace it?

Despite the advertising from installers promising a new boiler for under £1000 these days, to get it done properly will cost you significantly more than that; at least double.

And forget the discounts due to "government grants"; they are all advertising nonsense. ****ish gas offered a "trade in" or something like that where you "got £200 back for your old boiler" or something like that.
If you don't care for a disable, and have a low income, you will pay for it yourself. Just about every boiler vendor will give you 10% off the rrp for being kind enough to step into his shop.

Plumb Center also do the A1 scheme in conjunction with NPower.

The magic boiler scheme is a copy of this.

The 2 boilers I would recommend are the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 618 and the Broag Avanta Plus 18s.

Both are system boilers, but would be a same output replacement for the Suprima. The Broag may even fit easier where the suprima is as it is quite small in physical size. If you do change it I would recommend getting a system boiler.

Apart from that, I have to agree that once I have replaced the old pcb on the Suprima's I don't get any hassle from them.

The latest version of the pcb came with new wiring looms and so far has been ok.

Not in my experience. I've replaced two "latest type" boards in the past 6 months.

yes your absolutely right, the pcbs were rubbish, pottertons response to the problem was diabolical, the fact they charged more for the upgrade than the original pcb was a p155 take on a massive scale. BUT..............
The new pcb IS reliable, and as far as a customer concerned, the most cost effective advice has to be to keep the boiler. I would not recommend a new boiler because of my personal feelings for a company and its product.
Tell me a good reason for replacing it, from a customers point of view?

i've changed 3 of the new pcb's due to them cutting out before getting up to temp, and they was all within a year of been fitted.. still think they are a good boiler tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back