Icos HE15 low pressure help

I also noticed in the manual for the pressurised thank that I can add pressure by using a bicycle pump on the valve on top of the red cylinder. But I know there is a lack of water in the system at present so I'm not sure that will help.

No - that's purely for pre-pressurising the expansion vessel.

Go for the hosepipe. All being well, topping up should not be a regular activity so it matters little that it's not as convenient as a dedicated filling loop.

Mathew

The low pressure is partly my fault. It was already low but I then opened the pressure relief valve when diagnosing other problems. I also bled all radiators which further reduced the pressure.

I will either use the hosepipe or may consider fitting a filling loop.

Any advice on fitting a filling loop? There is mains cold water available in the airingcupboard, but where abouts should I connect the other end?

Sponsored Links
to the heating system :eek:

I know that! :rolleyes:

But is there any preference as to where abouts in it?

Another thought, with my current system where would you add system additives? and should I add something at the same time to make this easier?

But is there any preference as to where abouts in it?

The pipe leading to the expansion vessel would make the most sense.

[/quote]Another thought, with my current system where would you add system additives? and should I add something at the same time to make this easier?[/quote]

Unless you are planning on regular drain-downs there's little point. Just isolate a radiator (or towel rails are good if you have one) and add the inhibitor there.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the hosepipe didn't work. :eek:
Because its a 3 storey house the water pressure in the drain valve seemed to high for the pressure from the outside tap and I just ended up with water spraying out inside and out.....

I will create a more permenant solution in the airing cupboard.

AiringCupboard1.jpg

In the airing cupboard are two expansion vessels, the red one is on the sealed ch/hw system and the silver one is on the cold mains water.

Is there any reason I can't simply fit a self cutting tap to both 15mm pipes and fit a 3/4" BSP flexi pipe between them? I know this is not the professional plumber solution, but I haven't really got the time or inclination to drain down the system etc at the moment.

Something like this:-
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...ICSTHZOCFGA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=13768

What happens to the piece of metal from the hole it cuts?

Thanks guys

Because its a 3 storey house the water pressure in the drain valve seemed to high for the pressure from the outside tap and I just ended up with water spraying out inside and out.....

You didn't use jubilee clips did you?

The pressure from your outside tap will be fine - indeed the reason you ended up with water spraying everywhere is because the pressure was too great for your unclamped hose attachment.

Do bear in mind that if the pressure at your outside tap was insufficient, it's not going to get any higher elsewhere in the system!

Try again, this time securing the hose as advised. Use the drain tap on the cylinder cold inlet in the airing cupboard if it's more convenient.

Is there any reason I can't simply fit a self cutting tap to both 15mm pipes and fit a 3/4" BSP flexi pipe between them? I know this is not the professional plumber solution, but I haven't really got the time or inclination to drain down the system etc at the moment.

Here's hoping you've got the time when it eventually leaks, or the hole insert ends up somewhere it shouldn't! ;)

Mathew

You didn't use jubilee clips did you?

The pressure from your outside tap will be fine - indeed the reason you ended up with water spraying everywhere is because the pressure was too great for your unclamped hose attachment.

Do bear in mind that if the pressure at your outside tap was insufficient, it's not going to get any higher elsewhere in the system!

Try again, this time securing the hose as advised. Use the drain tap on the cylinder cold inlet in the airing cupboard if it's more convenient.

Here's hoping you've got the time when it eventually leaks, or the hole insert ends up somewhere it shouldn't! ;)

Mathew

I did indeed use a jubilee clip!
As soon as I opened the drain valve water started seeping from the side of the valve, when I then opened the outside tap it started spraying out indoors (From both drain valve and side of pipe) and even hose fitting on tap outside started pouring water.....

Apologies for doubting you. I guess undoing your drain valves doesn't just open up the internal exit if water is coming out elsewhere. Quite how it was coming out at the tap end I have no idea, other than assuming the clips weren't doing their job but I've made enough assumptions already.

Regarding your self-cutting valve idea I really would not recommend doing what you have already acknowledged is something of a bodge. Sure, you may think that time is limited now to do a proper job but you can bet that when that thing starts leaking further down the line it'll choose the worst possible moment!

Mathew

Ok, I've tried again. Used jubilee on outside tap as well this time but I just get watter ****ing out inside. Seems to be from the knurled bit just around from the square valve.... Pic here of valve on right:-

BoilerTop.jpg

Could it be that this is a one way valve and only alows water to drain?

The radiator in the downstairs loo has a straight drain off valve out of the side of one of the taps. Could I use this instead to fill the system?

Could it be that this is a one way valve and only alows water to drain?

It might just be the design of the valve.

The radiator in the downstairs loo has a straight drain off valve out of the side of one of the taps. Could I use this instead to fill the system?

Worth a try. You just need to get water into the CH circuit so any hole's a goal! (as some might say)

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back