ICS over wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fully hard-wired network based around a modem router (Netgear DG834). I also have a new laptop with built-in wireless network adapter (Dell Inspiron 1525). The problem: How to get the laptop onto the network without splashing out on a wireless router.

If I plug a standard USB wireless adapter into one of the existing computers (running XP Pro) and enable internet connection sharing, will the laptop be able to access the internet? Or will the two wireless adapters just sit there looking for a router to talk to? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS: If it does work, will the laptop become part of the home network for file and printer sharing purposes or will it only see the internet.

Sponsored Links
I have a fully hard-wired network based around a modem router (Netgear DG834). I also have a new laptop with built-in wireless network adapter (Dell Inspiron 1525). The problem: How to get the laptop onto the network without splashing out on a wireless router.
Four realistic options:

1. Wireless router.
2. Wireless access point.
3. Wireless extender kit.
4. Pair of powerline devices.

If I plug a standard USB wireless adapter into one of the existing computers (running XP Pro) and enable internet connection sharing, will the laptop be able to access the internet?
Hm. It's not something I've tried, but I don't think you can make the desktop wireless adaptor behave as an access point.

PS: If it does work, will the laptop become part of the home network for file and printer sharing purposes or will it only see the internet.
It would certainly be able to access the Internet (subject to the above restriction), but the rest depends on you configuring the home network.

You can configure two wireless adapters to communicate on an ad-hoc basis so I dont see why it wouldnt work.

You would manually have to set the IP addresses / Subnets on the adapters though and make sure they were on the same SSID and have the same encryption.

From what I remember ICS forces you into the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet though.

It would be a messy solution.

What do you call "splashing out" I think my Netgear router cost me £30

You can configure two wireless adapters to communicate on an ad-hoc basis so I dont see why it wouldnt work.
It's a fair point.

You would manually have to set the IP addresses / Subnets on the adapters though and make sure they were on the same SSID and have the same encryption.
Um, ICS uses DHCP, so there would be no need to manually set the IP addresses.

From what I remember ICS forces you into the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet though.
Again, DHCP.

It would be a messy solution.
I concur. And not least because ICS is a hideous implementation of a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
Softus";p="1054725 said:
Um, ICS uses DHCP, so there would be no need to manually set the IP addresses.

Didn't realise that, does ICS become the DHCP server then? If so would he have to turn his DHCP server off on the wired router? Netgear normally use 192.168.1.0/24

I've never actually used ICS myself, but I think its similar to routing and remote access from the server 2000 days, again a horrible messy hack.

Didn't realise that, does ICS become the DHCP server then?
Yes. The ICS/Firewall NT Service has a built-in, but rather disgraceful, DHCP server. It's about as loyal to the DHCP protocol as Jeffrey Archer is to his wife.

If so would he have to turn his DHCP server off on the wired router? Netgear normally use 192.168.1.0/24
No. XP will route.

I've never actually used ICS myself, but I think its similar to routing and remote access from the server 2000 days, again a horrible messy hack.
Kind of. I believe that the XP ICS code did not share a base with the NT R&RA service, but was an entirely different horrible messy hack that first crawled out of the evolutionary slime in Windows 98SE/Me.

It could only have been made worse if Microsoft had implemented a WAN connection by creating a DUN driver for a USB modem.

Oh. They did. :rolleyes:

If you've ever taken a W98Me machine, unplugged its USB ADSL modem, whacked in an Ethernet NIC, and plugged it into a decent ADSL modem/router, you can just about hear the machine breath a sigh of relief and sing "It's a hap-hap-happy day....", and start prancing around like Bambi after a huge dump. ;)

Thanks for the help so far. :D :D :D I'm coming round to the idea that ICS would be a messy way to do it. When I signed up for broadband, my new ISP gave me a free USB modem but I never got it out of the box. I could see so many potential problems with an ICS network that I spent £50 on a hardware modem router instead - and it was money well spent!

I see I can get a Belkin wireless modem router (F5D7630) for £17-99p, which is a lot less than I had expected. :eek: :eek: :eek: My existing Netgear modem is in a very bad place for wireless use so I would put the Belkin in a more central location, probably on the first floor.

So here comes question two: Can a modem router be used as a router only - or will the modem part throw up a continuous stream of "Can't connect" faults? :( :( :(

So here comes question two: Can a modem router be used as a router only - or will the modem part throw up a continuous stream of "Can't connect" faults?
It's not very clear what you're asking.

For example, a modem/router will route between WAN and LAN ports, whereas I suspect that you simply want a LAN hub or switch.

Some domestic modem/routers will be happy doing just that, but some get so preoccupied with trying to connect on the WAN port that they can hardly think about anything else.

What is it that's preventing you from buying the right equipment for your requirements? Are you on an extra-tight budget?

I suspect that you simply want a LAN hub or switch.

Correct. I was hoping to find a simple device with an RJ45 socket and a wireless antenna. :) :) :)

some get so preoccupied with trying to connect on the WAN port that they can hardly think about anything else

That's what worries me. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Are you on an extra-tight budget?

Yes. I've just blown most of it on the laptop! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I suspect that you simply want a LAN hub or switch.

Correct. I was hoping to find a simple device with an RJ45 socket and a wireless antenna. :) :) :)

In that case I can highly recommend a Netgear DG834G which has a 4-port switch for your wired devices. I've installed a couple of these for friends and family in SOHO environments and they are very good wrt reliability. I'm pretty sure you can pick them up for around £40 these days, so will not break the bank.

I'm at a loss to know why you don't just go and buy a wireless access point.

Agreed.

£22 inc free delivery. Doesn't break the bank surely ?

BoxCleva said:
£22 inc free delivery. Doesn't break the bank surely ?

Do you have a link to that? :D :D :D

Part of my problem is that this is my first step into wireless networking so I didn't know what to look for. My searches for "wireless network adapter" or "wireless router" turned up all the wrong stuff. It was either a wireless 'dongle' for the PC end of the link or else it also had a modem in it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

PS: Here's another possible trap for the unwary. The small print for one promising looking device said, among other things, "No other DHCP server in the system". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Part of my problem is that this is my first step into wireless networking so I didn't know what to look for.
That isn't your problem at all. :rolleyes:

Instead My searches for "wireless network adapter" or "wireless router" turned up all the wrong stuff.
Your needs are commonplace, and there are various permutations of equipment that will meet those needs. If you'd simply said "Here's what I want to do - what do I need?", then this topic would have been straightforward.

But you didn't.

Instead, you presented some ideas for using some WLAN equipment in a bizarre and/or Heath-Robinson fashion, with the primary aim of not spending any money.

A completely unrealistic approach to the situation - that's your problem.

It was either a wireless 'dongle' for the PC end of the link or else it also had a modem in it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

PS: Here's another possible trap for the unwary. The small print for one promising looking device said, among other things, "No other DHCP server in the system". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
FFS. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
I'm at a loss to know why you don't just go and buy a wireless access point.

That was the vital bit of information that I needed, the three magic words being "wireless access point". (You suggested one way back but I failed to pick up on it.) Now that I know what to search for I'm finding loads of useful information. Nice one! :D :D :D

If you'd simply said "Here's what I want to do - what do I need?", then this topic would have been straightforward.

Fair comment. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back