ID cards for Voting

Anecdotally, there is a belief that some people, particularly activist students, have been voting twice (once in the home town and once in their university town) and also voting 'on behalf' of other students that aren't interested in voting.
Students are some times allowed to vote twice.

Sponsored Links
“If I am ever asked, on the streets of London, or in any other venue, public or private, to produce my ID card as evidence that I am who I say I am, when I have done nothing wrong and when I am simply ambling along and breathing God's fresh air like any other freeborn Englishman, then I will take that card out of my wallet and physically eat it in the presence of whatever emanation of the state has demanded that I produce it.”

Guess Who?

Sounds like something Johnson would say!

Can we take it that the Voter ID would only be necessary for people who could not at the polling station produce a passport, driving licence, bus pass or any other ID with the person's name and picture on it?

Hardly seems necessary unless there is another reason for introducing them for everyone.

Sponsored Links
I have no problem with having to produce ID to vote. Considering how important voting is, i'm surprised that ID to vote hasn't been compulsory historically.

I would have a problem with the carrying of ID being a legal requirement, but the two issues are independent.

Do you require ID to vote by post? Honestly, I have never voted by post.

Phot ID only for first time voters?

Last edited:
Anecdotally, there is a belief that some people, particularly activist students, have been voting twice (once in the home town and once in their university town) and also voting 'on behalf' of other students that aren't interested in voting.

I'm sure that with all the interference in elections from hostile foreign powers, there is also the risk of voter fraud in the future with the current system.

Is there widespread evidence of this? You can vote in two different areas in local elections but only once in a General election.

This seems like a way to disenfranchise voters. If they want to make voting more encompassing - have automatic voter registration to go with voter ID?

Do you require ID to vote by post? Honestly, I have never voted by post.

Phot ID only for first time voters?

No, it's based on your electoral roll registration. You fill in the form (can be done online), some cards appear in the run up to the election giving your details and confirming you're registered (hand delivered, by whom I don't know) and then all the papers turn up for you to vote. Dead easy.

Funny how whinging students who are against them are quite happy to provide ID to get served in a pub

“If I am ever asked, on the streets of London, or in any other venue, public or private, to produce my ID card as evidence that I am who I say I am, when I have done nothing wrong and when I am simply ambling along and breathing God's fresh air like any other freeborn Englishman, then I will take that card out of my wallet and physically eat it in the presence of whatever emanation of the state has demanded that I produce it.”

Guess Who?

Same person who was going to lie down in front of the bulldozers for Heathrow's 5th terminal?

I have done nothing wrong. So why do I need to prove my ID?

I have done nothing wrong. So why do I need to hide my ID?

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with your ID.

Sponsored Links
Back