Idea Isar he35 Fault HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, any help appreciated please

for a while now my boiler has been cutting out with fault code FL. after a few presses of reset it might resart for a few hours if we are lucky. it cuts out on both central heating and hot water.

it has now started making funny noises like a jet engine, so need to get it fixed asap. i have checked condensate pipe and s trap and both are clear. also a new pcb was fitted aprox 2 months ago.

from looking at it tonight the only thing i can see is a copper pipe at the right hand side of the sump has water residue all over it and is corroded quite badly also small amounts of water puddles below this pipe. i do not have a clue what this is so any advice appreciated. could this be causing my problem?? is it easy to replace?

sorry for poor quality pics. took them on my phone

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
why have you removed the combustion cover?
are you gas safe?

Sponsored Links
sadly this guy has an ideal isar boiler and needs all the help he can get,remarks like why have you removed the combustion cover are not really helpful espically when this boiler does not have a part called the combustion cover.
he has only temporaly removed that panel to do a visual inspection and give you lot as much info he can.

2 options really.
1.change boiler.
2.get ideal fixed price repair and contract.

Thanks johno. Thought I was banging my head against a brick wall here. I only wanted a bit of help/advice on what it was and if it was a major problem so that a "gas safe" engineer didnt come and and try to rip me off like they normally do.

But yeh I think new boiler required unfotunetly? Any advice on best ones around 35watt as this seems to be another mind field And I don't have a clue which make is the beat really

Thanks

sadly this guy has an ideal isar boiler and needs all the help he can get,remarks like why have you removed the combustion cover are not really helpful espically when this boiler does not have a part called the combustion cover.
he has only temporaly removed that panel to do a visual inspection and give you lot as much info he can.

2 options really.
1.change boiler.
2.get ideal fixed price repair and contract.

You have to be a RGI to remove the combustion cover from a fan flued room sealed boiler.

The combustion cover seal is a very important part of the combustion cover and if damaged or if the case is not put back on properly can have serious ramifications to people and property.

We are registered for a reason and we would not be very good at our jobs if someone did not point this out.

I would advise that you call a RGI to check this boiler NOW.

Kind regards.

Removing said cover without being a RGI contravenes gas safe regulations.

Certainly not somethging the end user should be doing, but where do the regs say the end user cannot tinker with HIS OWN gas appliance. I know, it is dangerous, therefore service of a RGI must be sought instead of walking into a minefield that is the gas appliance.

Removing said cover without being a RGI contravenes gas safe regulations.

Certainly not somethging the end user should be doing, but where do the regs say the end user cannot tinker with HIS OWN gas appliance.

I honestly didnt think about that aspect.

But wanted to make the point that its someting that shouldnt be done by somebody whos not registered.

Regards

I only wanted a bit of help/advice on what it was and if it was a major problem so that a "gas safe" engineer didnt come and and try to rip me off like they normally do.

How many engineers have you had out to look at your boiler or are you just talking bo****ks ?

Why waste your time replying with rediculous comments like that?

How many engineers have I said I have had out? That's right none

I am asking for advice on what is up with it and if I should expect a big bill a so that i dont fet ripped off when he does come out. but obviously this is too much to ask as I just keep getting smart replys.

Do you have nothing better to do?

Any replies regarding the actual issue would be greatly appreciated as I have an engineer coming tomorrow. Thanks

It looks like the heat exchanger is leaking from the bottom connection,looks pretty rusty but the copper pipe only pushes in with an 0 ring for sealing,you may get away with just renewing this.
Its difficult to say what the noise is,possibly due to the dampness from the leak,there could be a little build up of alloy corrosion in the fan venturi,it only takes a little bit,and they make a dull vibrating raspberry blowing noise.

Thanks johno. Thought I was banging my head against a brick wall here. I only wanted a bit of help/advice on what it was and if it was a major problem so that a "gas safe" engineer didnt come and and try to rip me off like they normally do.

Thanks

Do you really have ANY evidence that gas engineers "usually" rip people off?

The noise could well be as a result of an incorrect mixture. A competent engineer will have a gas analyser to to check that with as part of "ripping you off".

As a matter of interest what do you think constitutes ripping you off? We charge a diagnostic fee of £84 to visit and diagnose faults. Is that ripping anyone off?

Tony

No Tony it's not but the average RGI is looking for a PCB change or boiler swap - regardless if it is fixable or not. Read these forums for a bit and you'll see the pattern.

No Tony it's not but the average RGI is looking for a PCB change or boiler swap - regardless if it is fixable or not. Read these forums for a bit and you'll see the pattern.

talking out your rear as usual joe!!

your average RGI does what is in the best interest of the customer, repairing a ****ebox isar is not.

on this particular boiler immediately below the leak is the control panel and the pcb to replace both is now around £145 just for the parts! i have no idea on the price of the heat exchanger but suspect with IDEAL ****e it won't give you much change out of £500

Edit: and OP i would be looking at a possible blocked condense trap first with an LF fault and the noise you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back