Ideal C24 HE Mini - no ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a shower last night and all was fine, attempted to have a hot shower before work this morning to find no hot water, I have checked and there is no heating either.

Everything appears to work as it should, I've checked the system pressure and that is normal, the microswitch appears to work correctly, the little red light on the flow sensor comes on when trying to use hot water, the pump feels like it is spinning and the fan fires up.
The PCB (single pcb version) looks fine top and bottom with no signs of burnt areas.
However it does not spark then it throws a fault code on the lights which doesn't tie in with any of the fault codes in the manual.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
That might help!

The right green light Is solid, the middle red light and green light on the left flash together fairly slowly.

you need an engineer because you can't touch that bit of the boiler ;) , cheap part to fix thou ;)

Sponsored Links
Strangely I gave it another go this morning and it fired up and ran briefly before returning to its not sparking state.

I completely understand I need to get an engineer in now, it's due a service anyway, it would be nice to know what the fault code is though. Is it an item that can be replaced while it is apart for a service?

I'm guessing its a pressure sensor of some sort as opposed to the spark electrode as it did still spark this morning.

(I've actually got a spare electrode as an engineer once diagnosed it as being an issue so I ordered one for him to fit at his request and never saw or heard from him again! Turns out it wasn't that anyway, just a full condensation trap!)

Edit - engineer now booked for tomorrow.

Last edited:
make sure you tell the engineer what is happening and dont expect them to miraculously find the fault during a service

I've already discussed it with him. He is popping over to diagnose and will service when he returns with any of the parts he needs to order.

It would still be handy to know what the error code means though if someone can please advise?

It wouldn't work again last night and intermittently this morning, sods law says it will work when he gets there later!

Because I'm geeky and like to understand these things and also like to ensure I'm not being mislead. Now I know not all tradesmen are dishonest or not very good but I have had some poor experiences (such as the example I posted previously) so like to see the bigger picture.

Because I'm geeky and like to understand these things and also like to ensure I'm not being mislead. Now I know not all tradesmen are dishonest or not very good but I have had some poor experiences (such as the example I posted previously) so like to see the bigger picture.
It's like a little information is dangerous information , for all we know you maybe talking shyte about getting an engineer, ;) putting it bluntly :)

I honestly am, but I do get where you are coming from.

Anyway I've since found the info and there's no way I'm touching that part of the boiler! Like you say if it is that part that is failing then it isn't expensive for him to replace. I guess it could get expensive if the part isn't actually at fault and he needs to find out what is causing it to not switch like it should :)

I think the light is solid when calling for hot water.

Chap visited last night, took the cover off the chamber and had a fiddle with the spark electrode and flame sensor and reckons the sensor is at fault. (which doesn't tie in at all with the info I was given by Ideal on the error code the boiler was showing?! in fact that switch wasn't tested at all).

I'm trying to work out how the flame sensor not working would stop it from sparking initially?

He is going to order one and fit it along with the spark electrode I already have.

He also diagnosed a partially blocked heat exchanger which explains why the water has been a bit hot then cold for a while now. That will either be cleaned or replaced depending on the quote I get back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back