Ideal Classic boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a brand new George Wimpey home in April with this boiler - it is ok when we run it on 'Once' (on at first timer off at last one, but when we run the 'auto' or 'continuous' programmes, which use the radiator thermostats, when the radiators have switched off after reaching the optimum temperature, the pilot light fails to relight when the temperature goes low - as a result, its very chilly.....

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Wimpey say not installation prob and could be manuf fault? Will it still be under manuf guarantee and as a result not cost us for repair? We're newly wed, new home, Xmas looming and worried we're going to be lumped with a bill for a dodgy boiler!

Ta

Jules :(

Julie

Sponsored Links
Sounds like all the cards are stacked in your favour.

You have a boiler still under warranty (<1 year old) so the manufacturer will be keen to foster a reliability image, especially if it's an estate with lots of the same boiler (I hear you lot up north talk to your neighbours)

George Wimpey has responsibilities to you under the Sale of Goods Act, plus you will probably have NHBC cover for 10 years (which may or may not cover the heating system)

So between them they should find a way....... ........however, don't let yorself get fobbed-off between one and the other.
1. Make sure you have the Benchmark A5 size booklet showing the system has been properly commissioned - from the housebuilder.
2. Ask the builder if the system meets Building Regulations, if so where is the automatic bypass valve (ABV).
3. Ask the builder to send a competant heating fitter to check the system and address your concerns.
4. If that is not successfull, tell the builder you want the boiler manufacturer to attend.

To me it sounds like a) no ABV has been fitted, or b) the ABV is fitted the wrong way around, or c) the ABV has been adjusted wrongly.

Have a merry Christmas, despite British Gas.

Thanks - you've made me feel a lot better :D ; at least we have some ideas to go with - looks like manufacturer will be involved. Thanks for your time in replying to this, and have a good Xmas yourself ;)

Are Ideal classic's condensers ? I didn't think so, how come a brand new house isn't complying with the regs ? think I would be asking why you have a standard effiiciency boiler which is going to cost you more gas to run !

Sponsored Links
the job would be exempt from the april deadline so no need to fit a condenser probably priced a couple of years ago got all the permissions and sat back and waited for property prices to rise before layying a brick then screw the installer to the floor about price.welcome to the world of big business.nhbc is not worth the paper it is printed on but if you have been in the house less than 12 months from new write to them with your concerns,again the installer will have to honour his warranty on labour and materials so get them to send some one out,if this fails contact ideal who will send some one out to look at the boiler,i would bet that the fault is on an external control and ideal will not repair that,but the installer should,have fun chasing them but start with the site foreman and site plumbers/electrian the one reply you will get is not down to me see so and so, pass the buck is the name of the game

PV Man, I think Ideal did a HE version of the classic by adding a secondary heat exchanger, though I could be confusing it with the Suprima HE?

You're right M.M, Ideal now do a HE version of the Classic but I think they only came out about July...ish?.
Not a bad boiler to fit either.
As for the original post Wimpey cover defects on the house for the first 2 years including the heating system, as for the 10 year NHBC guarantee that only covers things like subsidence & other major structural defects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back