Ideal Classic FF240 Boiler - Cutting Out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Unfortunately its that time of year when the boiler breaks down at first use :(

Ideal Classic FF240
Think about 10 years old, only lived in the property 12 months.

I returned from holiday and popped the the heating on, there was a bit of a knocking / kettling noise from the boiler.
After a few minutes the boiler cut out, it made a few gurgling noises so i switched it back off.

Now the boiler fires up fine, runs anywhere between 20 seconds and 5 minutes then cuts out.
Then the cycle begins again, the radiators eventually get warm but not that hot.

The old pump (Wilo gold 500) failed just after xmas , a new pump was fitted (Wilo Pico) and it seemed to run fine.
Radiators were also removed at the time and flushed out, Fernox added.
I drained and bled them all again thursday but didnt fix the current issue.

Gas engineer came out on friday, took one look at the boiler (didnt inspect or bring any tools) and said its more than 5 years old, scrap it and replace with a combi.
Wouldnt even investigate the problem.

Had another engineer out today, essentially he said the same... seems they only want to install a new boiler and not fix issues with existing boilers.

I removed the cover to check the fan was spinning as that seems to be a common issue, was spinning but seemed a little noisey.

The heat exchanger however looked quite rusty, photo attached.

Now im not looking to fix the issue myself, just want to know what the likely fault is and whether its fixable?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Im located in Leeds if anyone knows a recommended engineer to take a look :)

Sponsored Links
If the heat exchangers blocked, it will be replacement boiler needed

Regards

If the heat exchangers blocked, it will be replacement boiler needed
how would they know its blocked if they haven't inspected it

these are alright boilers and can probably be repaired , get a repair engineer to have a look , just because their gas qualified doesn't mean they can repair boilers ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Thanks both, short term I would prefer to get it repaired if it's not too costly.
Any thoughts on the most likely culprit?

Got some friends staying next week and doubt I could get a new boiler installed by Friday!

Sponsored Links
Sack that Heating guy off quickly!

There's plenty of good guys in Leeds.

Paul Daley being one. Can't remember what his company is called though.

As per Dan. Well more than 10 years, but that sounds like the mental age of your plumber (or he is simply a liar or or incompetent or all 3). Bin them and get a local recommendation. The boilers are pretty solid. Even if it is sludged or scaled it is recoverable, providing you are prepared to pay the appropriate charge,

Definitely recommend Paul Daley.

From the description it sounds like the heat exchanger is scaled/blocked, you could have it descaled or cleaned through, or worst case replaced, however, the system would more than likely need to be cleaned and correctly treated, if sludge is the cause of the blockage.

Need to decide if it's worth investing in a boiler of that age, against the cost of replacement, with manufacturers warranty etc

I always look to repair rather than replace, but weigh up costs to offer best option for customer to make decision

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

I guessed at 10yrs just because there is a small sticker with a 2007 date, maybe its from when the house was built back in 99!

Will give Mr Daley a call tomorrow see if he can come over this week and at least give a diagnosis.
Any idea what cost i will be looking at to remove the sludge or simply unblock the cold feed??

Thanks

ny idea what cost i will be looking at to remove the sludge or simply unblock the cold feed
There's more simple faults to look for before tackling that idea

It's a good boiler so don't make a haste decision to replace so quick

If you decide to change: what state is your cylinder and controls. A straight swap to another heat only boiler may be better Than a combi. IMO

The cylinder and controls look in good condition and seem to work fine to me.
Could be tempted by Hive at some point though :p

Good boilers as already advised , dont be in a rush to replace it,they are very reliable and the rust on the heat exchanger is normal.

OP: Lightning #8 is probably not far off. Did your "engineers" actually check anything? First call would be to check ball valve in lift. It can sick in the closed position, and eventually water will evaporate or escape from small/micro leaks. Once the water level drops to a critical level, one loses circulation, resulting in your symptoms. If the header tank is full, then find a magnet. Locate the pipe where the cold feed from the tank enters the system pipework, and test for magnetism. It would be unusual for that boiler t SUDDENLY get sludged to the extent where there is practically no circulation.
The noise suggests the problem IS poor circulation, which would point away from thermostat and fan issues

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back