Ideal Classic FF240 Boiler - Cutting Out

Unfortunately i still haven't managed to get anyone to inspect the boiler.
My faith is being quickly eroded!

Must have called 10 plumbers/ rgi's so far and either they are unwilling to come out, fail to turn up or don't want to inspect the boiler.

Will investigate the cold feed this evening myself.

Failing that I'm going to burn the house down and claim on the insurance :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well the engineer had just been, seems there may be a fault with the PCB.

Something is arcing,.top right corner little round thing partly hidden by the black wire, marked SG1

Any thoughts ?
IMG_20170919_170050895.jpg

That's the ignition striker, it should look as though it's arc internally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, it was Mr Daley's colleague who investigated/diagnosed the problem.

Seems it's more difficult to find an engineer who knows what too look for.

What's a GVSC?

I rarely say this but if u can't find a descent engineer call bg.

probably blocked cold feed. But might need a powerflush.

Can't believe you've had such a poor response and that some told you to scrap any boiler over 5 years without even investigation

I'd hold on to that boiler for asking as possible.
The ideal classic. FF was at the time when boilers were reasonably efficient but very reliable. There is little to go wrong and can be fixed easily.

Thanks Phil.

Well we may have a little progress, tried a small magnet on the cold feed and there is the slightest hint of a pull :)

So would this need the T junction cutting out and replacing?

Question, when you drained and bled the radiators Thurs, did it take long to bleed rads, could you hear the air coming out?

Also if boiler us overheating due to lack of water, you would have to manually reset overheat stat.

Jesus, would explain a lot.
Thinking about it when the old Wilo Gold pump failed it looked much like that photo, the width of the pump was reduced to about 5mm.

It took much longer to drain this time, in fact the tall radiator in the kitchen failed to drain fully. There was a lot of gurgling going on!

I've not had to press the reset switch

I hope so :)
If only to keep the misses happy!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow, thanks again all who have offered advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back