ideal icos 3080 - pcb fault, what's causing it to fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently moved into a flat with the above boiler connected to an unvented hot water system. the system worked for a couple of weeks then nothing.
the code on the display said pcb needing replacing but it blew up too.......
£200 wasted.
I have checked resistance on the fan at 120ohms but the gas valve is 4000ohm, am I going mad or is it because there is no power on or is this the reason the pcb is blowing up.
any ideas please

Sponsored Links
have you put the plugs in the right place theres 2 that look the same but dont go in the same place :evil:

Sponsored Links
These pcbs are notorious for blowing without any other fault. Just c r a p Ideal design and reliability.

Fans though, are also extremely common for taking out things on these as well.

Other things to check would be pump and look for any leaks, ie auto air vent leaking.

They also have a fault with the rear insulation panel falling down inside combustion chamber and the burner fires direct onto the ali casing causing it to burn hole in the rear of it. This then burns through the fan cable blowing pcb and fan.

They also have a fault with the rear insulation panel falling down inside combustion chamber and the burner fires direct onto the ali casing causing it to burn hole in the rear of it. This then burns through the fan cable blowing pcb and fan.

I agree with the above, but usually this causes it to burn through he and outer case at back. Fan loom is at front of he.

I saw on another post someone discarghing hte capacitor on the pcb. maybe worth a last resort.

fan definatley causes pcb to fail, do ideal carry out a fixed price repair? a lot of manufacturers do

Yes they do, but not at present as they are too busy with warranty work :eek: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back