ideal icos electrical problem

A

angelf

called to customer with "air lock " in new system installed last week. Turned on c/h -rads not heating up on bottom floor-turn all rads off upstairs & all rads on upstairs. Pump on 2 (why not 3-dont know) pump bled as it was making noises & very hot. checked power to & from pump, boiler etc. then all electrics failed-no power to boiler, controls, pump. RDC also tripped. Any suggestions as to why this happened?
m :?: ;)

Sponsored Links
mary feerick said:
called to customer with "air lock " in new system installed last week. Turned on c/h -rads not heating up on bottom floor-turn all rads off upstairs & all rads on upstairs. Pump on 2 (why not 3-dont know) pump bled as it was making noises & very hot. checked power to & from pump, boiler etc. then all electrics failed-no power to boiler, controls, pump. RDC also tripped. Any suggestions as to why this happened?
m :?: ;)

A short circuit. ;)

a short curcuit where to pump? boiler? would it have been caused by incorrect wiring or was there another possible cause? Would the pump have been set on 2 to avoid this happening.

PS Thanks for prompt reply! Cheers
m

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say much on the information given, but if the RCD tripped it suggests some current leakage to earth, which might arise from water getting onto electrics (from venting pump?) or if your testing wasn't up to scratch.

water pressure is fine I think. It isnt a sealed system-its open vented. If its a effing adventure then can you give me more details on what type of adventure lies agead?

mary feerick said:
a short curcuit where to pump? boiler? would it have been caused by incorrect wiring or was there another possible cause? Would the pump have been set on 2 to avoid this happening.

PS Thanks for prompt reply! Cheers
m

From your original post i was quessing that you was an engineer.

Are you?

cover was put over the motorised valve to avoid water entering electrics. Still no closer to knowing why a new pump on the c/h, cold rads on lower floor etc were a problem before all this happened. Any clues/suggestions welcome. Its a newly installed ideal icos boiler & cylinder :LOL:

yep-am recently CORGI registered but am not part P (electrically reg) if that makes sense. Neither I am keen on making a small problem worse ...or indeed tackling such a job without the relevant qualifications.

Who installed the Icos boiler? Shouldn't they be called in to sort it out?

Hello Mary!

Its quite clear that you are gas qualified and I think quite Irish !!!

Could you explain a little more slowly ( some of the people here are over 40 !!! ) what your involvement in this situation is. I assume that someone else fitted the boiler. Why are they not dealing with the problem?

Its normal for the pump to be on "2" rather than three as that would make the system a bit noisy.

I expect some of the water has leaked onto the electrics and provided more than 30 mA current flow to earth and tripped the RCD. It will probably dry out and be OK tomorrow.

As you have already sussed out there was air in the pump and I predict that it will be much better if not completely fixed tomorrow.

Tony Glazier

Tony,

How did u know I was Irish??
Problem sorted ta-thanks to all of you for your help & advise esp as I was having a "paddy" about this yesterday.

Installers put it in (guy who did it is off on holiday) & as Im on the service/breakdown side was sent in to sort it out. Customer thought there was a problem with it..& there was. Are u keeping up with me now boys!!!
Ha ha-only joking Im sure ur way ahead of me now! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back