Ideal ICOS HE18

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking at getting one of these boilers installed in my 37 year old house on an existing (older) central heating system. Are they good boilers ? Should I be aware of any troublesome faults? Would I be better to go with an Ideal ICOS HE18 instead or are they much the same?

many thanks,
D

Sponsored Links
fit a vaillant or your have problems forever trust me lost count of pcbs fitted on ideal blrs there pants :LOL:

second that on the Ideal, Nowt but trouble.

Just heard that the Ideal Service engineer in the North-East area has left his job due to stress. These boilers are breaking down everywhere and people were constantly threatening to rip them out and put them in the bin :oops:

im mates with a ideal engneer in essex and when his neighbour asked what ideal blr to fit in his house he said a vailliant that just about sums up ideal to me

Sponsored Links
DO NOT consider fitting an ideal boiler :eek: Go for the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 if you want to keep and open vented system or the 618 is you change to a sealed system ;)

Ideal are currently recruiting for 100 engineers in the UK. It seems quite a few have left. Money im told is £30.000-£35.000 p.a. But they have to do one week call out work saturdays and sundays on a rosta.
Dont shoot me if im wrong. :D

nothing wrong with icos boiler as long as you have a service contract with ideal or bg and have an immersion heater and fan heaters.
ashwood who wants to work for £35.000 a year,that just covers my bar bill a year.
ok london here and can ask for £42.000 a year plus out of hours and thats paye working for a contracting company with no expenses to pay.

bob1960 said:
ok london here and can ask for £42.000 a year plus out of hours and thats paye working for a contracting company with no expenses to pay.

Who the hell is paying THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jobcenter plus has an ad for plumbers in central london for 9PH

42k plus bonus my eye

Funny Ideal arent advertising

Worcester are but no money advertised

Heateam are advertising "upto" 30k plus loyalty bonus :rolleyes:

Hepworth arent advertising

I'm a bit worried about the ideal now. Now I can't make my mind up - different people are all telling me different stories about the ideal range and the glow-worm micron range. Its very hard to read through the noise!! All I want is something reliable, quiet, not expensive, efficient. Also the Ideal ICOS has an Aluminium boiler compare to the glowwarm which has a cast iron boiler. Is there a real difference?

The ideal icos isnt a bad boiler. Unforunatly its mark 1 version was pretty lame but it always carried a bad reputation from its combi derivetive.

The problems are now well and trully ironed out and its now a good boiler for the money you pay.

Ive installed one or two of them since Ideal said they propblems on them are sorted and ive had no call backs to them. One of them must be 3 years old now and I still see it pluming away happlily as i drive passed.

Its not the best boiler out there but its certainly not the worst either. its a good solid boiler for the money I say.

If you go for the plumb center own brand the Evo HE it is identical to the Icos (same boiler with different badge) you get an extra years warranty-3 years in total. The better makes such as Worcester and Vailliant dont offer that much of a standard warranty. Again a statement by the makers that they believe that they have sorted the problem and have much confindence in their product.

dgorman said:
I'm a bit worried about the ideal now. Now I can't make my mind up - different people are all telling me different stories about the ideal range and the glow-worm micron range. Its very hard to read through the noise!! All I want is something reliable, quiet, not expensive, efficient. Also the Ideal ICOS has an Aluminium boiler compare to the glowwarm which has a cast iron boiler. Is there a real difference?

Yes one is a standard efficiency boiler one is a high effciency boiler.

Personally id install a HE boiler due to the future cost saving potential.

Here in the UK it must be a HE boiler that is installed but im not aware of the regs in Ireland

I must agree we have started to fit the icos and isar again and they have been fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back