Ideal isar he24 constant displaying "d"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ideal isar he24 boiler was heating up the radiators whenever the hot water taps were turned on. I have replaced the diverter valve , which seemed to have the spring stuck and not bounce back when pushed in. This seems to have fixed that problem as now whenever the hot water is turns on it stays constantly hot , and the radiators don't heat up.
However since this has been replaced, the boiler now shows a constant "d", the blue light flashes for a while but the turns off and the "d" is still on display, and the central heAting will no longer turn on via the wireless thermostat.
Please advise , as it's driving me mad. [/list]

Sponsored Links
You either have a dripping hot tap or a slight leak on the hot supply to the taps. Try turning off the cold mains to the boiler and try the heating again.
Caution though, the cold isolation valve is made of poor materials, so be careful.

I have checked for dripping taps but have found nothing , when the "d" is displayed there is no neon light on either, and the pump doesn't seem to be running either until I actually open a hot water tap.
Some friend mentioned possibility of thermistor needs replacing , does this make any sense ?
I will try turn cold water supply off and let you know what happens , cheers .

Sponsored Links
Yup you definitely need to try turning cold mains off and I'm sure it will after a minute switch to central heating. It's due to the way the isar checks to see if water is running. It is particularly sensitive to dripping taps as opposed to boilers Which use a diaphram and microswitch.

I turned off cold water supply and presto!!! Central heating runs continuously without interruption , I've checked again for dripping taps and noticed that a couple are constantly "wet" although not dripping , could this be enough to cause it to keep switching to status "d" ?

Is there any way to make this boiler "unsensitive " to dripping taps ?

In a word, no.

I myself inherited one of these boilers and they are very sensitive to even a wiff off water and it will not "switch over".

My ideal isar he24 boiler was heating up the radiators whenever the hot water taps were turned on. I have replaced the diverter valve , which seemed to have the spring stuck and not bounce back when pushed in. This seems to have fixed that problem as now whenever the hot water is turns on it stays constantly hot , and the radiators don't heat up.
However since this has been replaced, the boiler now shows a constant "d", the blue light flashes for a while but the turns off and the "d" is still on display, and the central heAting will no longer turn on via the wireless thermostat.

Yours might be due to dripping taps, my mother in laws stopped going into CH mode becuse of dirty contacts on the timer slide switch.

Might also be worth checking the timer, the slider switch can have bad contacts, and so the current wasn't conducting properly through its 24hr setting and hence it failed to go into CH mode.

I bypassed the timer as it was not being used, left it to control Ch from the room thermostate.

Yours might be due to dripping taps, my mother in laws stopped going into CH mode becuse of dirty contacts on the timer slide switch.

Might also be worth checking the timer, the slider switch can have bad contacts, and so the current wasn't conducting properly through its 24hr setting and hence it failed to go into CH mode.

I bypassed the timer as it was not being used, left it to control Ch from the room thermostate.

Good point Mike, i believe the reverse of these controls are carbon based and can wear out over time.

Are the controls on your mother in-laws boiler in built did you say?

Good point Mike, i believe the reverse of these controls are carbon based and can wear out over time.

Are the controls on your mother in-laws boiler in built did you say?

No in her house they were seperate aparently, and were fitted under a kitchen unit and below that she used to have a kettle, and the steam from the kettle may be responsible for the problem, and the thing is she did not even know it was there, it was always left in 24hr mode, she moved to a smaller 2 bed house 4 years ago and ever since she had not used that timer!, but it went wrong and was showing me 26v across the room thermostate contacts, and I took it for guaranteed that her room state worked on low voltage control!

Because of this I started to look for a fault elsewehere! but eventually i figured it out that the room stste worked directly on 230v ac like in most boilers.

You either have a dripping hot tap or a slight leak on the hot supply to the taps. Try turning off the cold mains to the boiler and try the heating again.
Caution though, the cold isolation valve is made of poor materials, so be careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back