Ideal Isar HE24 + Corgi fitted badly - but how badly!??

Saif123";p="1153464 said:
Ok, thanks everyone - have remembered a few more things he did 'wrong' like only fitted the main wallplate/hanging bracket - not the second one which slots in lower down the main plate - he also decided to drill new holes in the horseshoe thing which connects flue to boiler and screw them into top of boiler - rather than asking me to go and buy the appropriate screw to fit it through the proper hole. Also he did not fit the clip things to the valves (not sure how important they are). I thinkm sum total is phone CORGI tomorrow - let them know everything he has done and let them decide.

I checked his CORGI number and it corresponds to the name he gave me - advertises under and to the address on his emails... his assistant who ran the gas pipe probably wasn't a CORGI though - and I guess he should have been? or maybe a trainee is allowed to do that?
this is ok so long as the qualified engineer is on site and supervises the install to ensure it meets the gsiur

Sponsored Links
I find it hard to belive that an ex-BG man did not know the Isar was a condenser, from what your saying I wouldn't let him in my garden let alone the house.

If he has drilled the top of the boiler to " get a better fixing" for horseshoe for flue then I am afraid on top of all your other woes you now need a new boiler.
This guy sounds like a clown. The one from Stephen Kings IT. !!!

heatingman, unfortunatly being ex bg or even working for bg means nothing nowadays! i RIDDOR'd a new installation by bg yesterday!

Sponsored Links
he also decided to drill new holes in the horseshoe thing which connects flue to boiler and screw them into top of boiler
Anyway, thanks everyone - at least I know I'm not jumping the gun by reporting him.

Seriously he has wrecked the boiler as it is illegal to just drill into the combustion box.
You now need a new boiler on top of all yer other woes. The boiler is fecked now!
Might as well start again get a new boiler fitted.
Pictures of the top of the boiler and the rest of the instal would be good to see how much of a botch job

It does sound like a complete cowboy job, which is probably why he was so cheap.
If you have not had the installation checked for gas leaks, call 0800 111 999 now; it is a free emergency service that operates 24/7 365 days a year.
If you mention a smell of gas, they will probably be there in about half an hour.
Leak or no leak, it won't cost you and if there is no leak they will not hold it against you. the whole idea of safety is erring on the side of caution.
We all make mistakes, but forgetting to tighten the gas connection is bad; NOT doing a test after working on a gas pipe, that would immediately show this, is unforgivable.

If he has drilled the top of the boiler to " get a better fixing" for horseshoe for flue then I am afraid on top of all your other woes you now need a new boiler.
This guy sounds like a clown. The one from Stephen Kings IT. !!!

I fitted a lot of these a few years ago the horseshoe is the flue clamp they simply clip under the 2 tags on the top of the boiler main case and then a single screw holds the middle down and in doing so holds the flue elbow in place.

if your cowboy (installer) has modified this then it is simple IT IS NOT FITTED CORRECTLY and i would contact CORGI and trading standards immediately
GET THE BOILER CHECKED before someone DIES!

The issue with the pressure gauge on the flow is just down to poor practice. However, the safety valve not being routed to outside is very poor, and as far as I am aware a breach of regulations. The Whole point of this discharge pipe is to allow water to flow to outside in the event of overpressure in the system, as so not to cause damage to the property. I'm a gas engineer not a lawyer but I expect that if the valve opened and damaged the property, or worse, you would have a case.

The condense pipe not being terminated is certainly incorrect, as part of the BENCHMARK log book, the document at the back of the installation manual that should be filled in, this should be run to a suitable drain as per manufactures instructions.

The gas leak DEFINATLEY an issue corgi would deal with. The installation should have been tightness tested to prove free from leaks before and after the installation had been worked on.
You should check this ‘Corgi’ is in fact registered. You can do this on Corgi’s web site.
Whether he is or is not registered you should report him.

Ok, thanks everyone - have remembered a few more things he did 'wrong' like only fitted the main wallplate/hanging bracket - not the second one which slots in lower down the main plate - he also decided to drill new holes in the horseshoe thing which connects flue to boiler and screw them into top of boiler - rather than asking me to go and buy the appropriate screw to fit it through the proper hole. Also he did not fit the clip things to the valves (not sure how important they are). I thinkm sum total is phone CORGI tomorrow - let them know everything he has done and let them decide.

I checked his CORGI number and it corresponds to the name he gave me - advertises under and to the address on his emails... his assistant who ran the gas pipe probably wasn't a CORGI though - and I guess he should have been? or maybe a trainee is allowed to do that?

Anyway, thanks everyone - at least I know I'm not jumping the gun by reporting him.

Its installers like this that make any boiler manufacturer shudder!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back