Ideal Istor Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has an Istor combined boiler and HW cylinder - installed when the house was built about six years ago.

He has just phoned me to say that water marks are appearing on the ceiling under the boiler, which is on the second floor of the house. He has taken the cover off the HW cylinder and thinks there is a leak in the pipework. The GSR who services the boiler is on his way. However he has said that, if the cylinder has gone, a new one will cost over £1700.

If this is the case, are there any alternatives?

Would it be possible to keep the boiler part and install a different (cheaper!) cylinder?

Would a new boiler and cylinder be better/cheaper?

The boiler/tank is in its own cuppboard, so the space is limited.

Sponsored Links
Cylinder is part of the boiler. So either an official part or new boiler.

Frankly I would skip the boiler.

Typical piece of Ideal shyte rot box.

Their Forum alter ego will probably be along later to try and justify themselves through private messaging.

One has to ask oneself how many chances a company deserves though.

Cylinder is part of the boiler. So either an official part or new boiler.

Frankly I would skip the boiler.

Typical piece of Ideal shyte rot box.

Their Forum alter ego will probably be along later to try and justify themselves through private messaging.

One has to ask oneself how many chances a company deserves though?

Sponsored Links
They're still available but if the OP's engineer can find one for £1700 he's doing better than I am, cheapest I can find is over £3k!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back